My New Shaving Horse

A friend brought by an old, dusty, maple chair that had seen better days. It was missing a back spindle, the seat was split into three pieces and a bottom rung stringer had lost its tenon end. I don't usually work on other people's old chairs but I made an exception for just this one. Making spindles is new for me but I have found the process interesting and therapeutic(so far). This shaving horse is made from some old pressure treated deck scrap lumber and a few other parts and some store bought. I practiced a little on a piece of dowel and I think I can get the hang of it. My new horse reminds me of an old girl friend, Phyllis, she was plain but she could rock and roll.

Lawrence L'Hote

Is as does....

Reply to
George

Very cool. I'd only ever seen the dumb head type before, which is what I have. Do you ever find the throat limits you? It's not real often, but I've occasionally used mine on wider boards, usually ones I've split out. This one looks like it would grab the more usual spindles more solidly than a dumb head type would, though. Do you know if that's the case?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've never used one before and I just, today, got this one done. I am unable to comment on any of your inquiries because I have zero experience on these things.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Since Lawrence is new, I can say that this type, which is often called a "bodger's" bench, is the very best for spindles, spoon handles and such. I keep a selection of top holds available for mine with various V cuts to help hold larger and smaller diameters, cut as 1 1/2 x 3" pieces bored for the bolt 1" in from an end, they allow me to grip various thicknesses within the travel of the foot bar, without changing the angle of the hold.

Reply to
George

about better clamping options than I currently have. This looks like the ticket.

Oh, and nice driveby on the LV shave. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

I had a little trouble getting the holes aligned in foot/clamp/pedal thing. I think with a little more planning I can increase the mechanical advantage a bit. RE: LV shave..I got the whole set....this concave one is VERY nice.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

The North end of mine supports a carving bench with hold-downs for carving the bowls of the spoons. You might want to consider such an all-in-one if you're a regular carver.

Reply to
George