My first gloat?

Does this count? Quantity eight. 8 foot florescent fixtures, 2 tubes, with bulbs.

All tested good except one. One side does not light on one fixture. Not sure why yet. All in good shape.

over kill for a 2.5 car garashop?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Oh yea - Got em for FREE

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

That's a gloat, of sorts, in my book. I'd classify it as a nanogloat though.

JP

******************************************************************************************** How 'bout a Walker-Turner cabinet saw with a Biesemeyer fence for 80 bucks?
Reply to
Jay Pique

Certainly not a big gloat, but anytime something is free, especially when you've got a use for it, then that qualifies as a gloat in my books.

Reply to
Upscale

I've consulted the Committee and they classify this as a middling neener.

Sure. I'll send you my shipping address on the back channel ;^)

Reply to
Joe Wells

It might make the grade of a 'gloatette'.

Which means that instead of you sucking, you just smell a little 'off'.

Good on ya, nonetheless.

Robatoy

They're not wood or tools so I think free light bulbs is more like a neener than a gloat.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Not overkill by a long shot. That's just barely enough light for me.

I would class it as a nice find, not a gloat.

Bob

Bob

Heeeheeee! I'm headed down with the trailer right now. I also picked up two *large* piles of hardwood for $12.50 each. The 100 bdft. of clear poplar sitting dead nuts on top of it would have been worth the $25, and that doesn't even begin to touch the oak, cherry and god knows what else piled underneath. I'm a bit giddy. Of course this will mean I have no excuse not to actually *build* something.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Considering the 8' fixtures are $50 around here, and the bulbs are what, $5 apiece (haven't replaced mine yet), that doesn't sound like a simple neener.

*doing the math* 8 fixtures and bulbs * ($50 + $10) = $480 worth of lighting. For free. I wouldn't turn that down.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

I don't know where you live, but in many big cities now, it is almost impossible to get rid of the long florescent tubes. They are considered hazardous waste.

I used to have these fixures in my house and shop. The tubes were cheap and plentiful. When I moved recently, it was almost impossible to buy the long tubes and no garbage dump in town would take them. I used to put them out for curbside removal. They won't take them any more. Not even the four footers.

I had a friend who would put them in a specially constructed box and break them up. He would them transfer the shards to lined plastic bags. This was the only way to get rid of them. Even the four footers are getting hard to get rid of.

It is turning into a form of ecological blackmail or embargo. If in fact these things need to be disposed of in a certain way, waste companies should provide a solution of some kind. Now large amounts of these tubes are being disposed of in ways that they would never approve of.

You have to commit a crime to dispose of them. I heard of one waste company designate one day a year to receive these tubes. They are accumulating around people's houses. You can't sell your house if there are any of these tubes laying around. I have no idea what businesses do. Probably have a hazardous waste company take care of them.

But what choice do consumers have? I was made to feel like a leper for having these eight foot fixtures and tubes. Never again. I am not even sure about the four footers any more.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well in that case, you suck.

Not too much for a garage- it's not too much until every square inch of ceiling is covered and you're mounting them on the walls.

Reply to
Prometheus

Light fixtures aren't tools? Heck, I consider my radio a tool. It all helps do the work, after all.

Reply to
Prometheus

Only if you live in Texas where the electricity rates are the highest in the country. 50% higher in the last 12 months.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm... Haven't dealt with that issue at all. I guess I probably would have done what your friend did, but without forethought. Just that the bulbs wouldn't have fit into a garbage can.

Around here, we have a "hazardous waste" disposal area at most land-fills. Used motor oil, paint, etc. There's also places to send old electronics (TV's, computers, etc). BTW, around here is in Alberta, Canada. Guess we're more progressive than I thought. Of course, we pay an extra fee for those services. I think on my LCD monitor purchase, I paid $12 up front for it's disposal at the end of it's life.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

I think on my LCD monitor purchase, I paid $12 up front for

Boy - What a load of crap.

To the OP. Just break 'em up into a trashcan. Whats the big deal.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Well, _that_ puts it in the gloat class.

However, the 12.5% defects eliminates it from consideration as a full-fledged gloat.

Guess you'll have to settle for 'gloat-lite'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

My garage/shop is 22 x 25 x 11 and I have 3x 8' two bulb units and 2x 4' units. It is plenty bright for me. If you want to use all of them, consider putting them on two switched circuits for when you may not want/need all of them on. My 4' units are on a separate circuit and I rarely turn them on.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Good advice - I am thinking of putting in 6 of them, leaving the original bulb sockets in place and putting pull chains on each 8' section. That way I only turn on what I need plus others as the traverse the garage would only use the regular lights.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Ah, but think of the tools he can buy with the money not spent on lights!

Reply to
Jim Weisgram