normal air drying of wood

Is there a normal percent moisture to expect wood to dry to?

I have a new pinless moisture meeter and I'm in Denver colorado. I have a couple pieces of wood that stored in my basement study are below 10 percent. I know an accurate reading can be affected by the smoothness of the surface but I'm really curious about this

Reply to
william kossack

In the open, it dries to the moisture level of the area that it's in. If you live in a humid climate, then it will waver around whatever that level is ~ and vice versa.

Reply to
Upscale

Yes, there is a normal. But moisture content varies, because wood gathers and loses moisture to the air. It's old news, but wood reaches an EMC (Equilibrium Moisture Content) with the air based on relative humidity. Get a gage, discover your RH, and find the EMC numbers at

chapter three.

While you're there, get to the search box

and check out data on moisture meters.

Reply to
George

very interesting

I'm in Denver and the humidity is normally very low. I store my exotic stuff in my study so it is warm.

Is there any truth to what some pe>

Reply to
william kossack

Read the paragraph on hysteresis. Eventually, there's a certain "set" taken which doesn't vary a lot.

Reply to
George