Moving PM66 Table Saw

I just bought a used 5HP single phase PM66. My problem is that it is currently located in the shop where I bought it. From what I have found on Ebay it looks like they weigh between 500 and 600 pounds. I have no shortage of bodies to lift and I think I have access to a 1 ton truck, but how do you move it. I don't think I can physically fit enough bodies around it to drop the weight per person to under 100 pounds thus very hard to lift 3 feet up to the truck bed. So my thought was to try to reduce the weight by partially disassembling it. It looks like the extension wings should come off pretty easily, is this true? If so how hard are they to realign. Second, can I pull the motor? Again if so how hard is it to reinstall? Does anyone have experience moving these buggers? BTW SWMBO let me buy it (She actually wrote the check;-)) she wont let me rent a lift truck as they are like $200 for the distance I need (unless perhaps someone here has one near seattle and wants to share). Wyatt

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Take the fence and rails off. Remove the top with wings attached. Remove the motor. Two people can handle the parts. Watch out for shims or spacers under the bolts holding the top to the cabinet (if there, they need to go back in the same places).

Go to the powermatic web site and download the manual. This will show you what you are in for. If it is well aligned now; you can move it and be back in business the same day. You will need proper tools to align it (straight edge and TS-Aligner Jr).

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

pull the top.

use a hand truck.

Reply to
bridger

Rent a trailer with a low bed and a rear ramp.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

My PM66 is a 3hp w/50" fence. It was fully assembled from point of purchase. I rented a van and the shop lifted it in with a forklift. When I got it home, with winter snow helping, I managed to slide it down to the ground and skid it into the front of the house. Anyway... to answer your question. Just take the major parts off. I carried it all downstairs, I think my wife helped me with the cabinet, the rest I did by myself. I'm sure I used a 2-wheeler for many sections.

It does not hurt to have the "Just bought this awesome new tool" juice flowing through your veins.

New or used, I'd still check & adjust alignment as needed.

hikinandbikin said the following on 1/20/2005 10:49 AM:

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

When I got my Jet cab saw. I stripped it down to cabinet with motor removed, wings unattached, but the main section of table attached. That piece was probably about 225 lbs IIRC. It was not too tough for two of us to get it up a flight of stairs. Reinstalling the motor was a bitch. The wings and fence a no big deal to reinstall and align.

If you can handle the 300lb cabinet/motor/main top reinstalling the rest should be a snap. Of course a PM66 may have another 75 lbs of iron hidden somewhere :-)

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Nope. But I moved my Wadkin, which is very similar.

The source was very close to a friend's house, where three of us had previously spent a whole day struggling to install his massive lathe. So we tooled up equally and went off to do battle.

It was almost embarassing. 5 minutes with a wrench took the table off the body, and the fence rails and wings off the table. Then I used a simple sack truck to wheel each piece into the van, and lifted them in on my own. On driving home I put it all together by myself. I hadn't even taken the motor off it.

There were five of us standing around this thing and I'd brought my hydraulic engine crane with me. None of it was needed. Once you get that table off, they're a piece of cake.

Putting the table back on is harded, because there's an alignment to worry about. But you needed to check that and maybe reset it anyway, so that's no great inconvenience.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all appreciate your good ideas and information. I am excited to get my new saw in Hand picking it up Saturday morning. :-) You have no idea how big this grin really is. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Take the top off and two people can move it. Use a hand truck to cart the base around and you can tip it on to the truck and two people can push it in. No big deal. I brought home a General 18 inch bandsaw that two of us loaded and I unloaded it myself. According to the book it weighs 450 pounds. max

Reply to
max

I move them by myself all the time. I tip it on to the tailgate of the pickup, lift the bottom and push. It slides right in. I probably end up lifting about 100# if that much. You can then stand it back up (my reccomendation) for hauling.

Reply to
My Old Tools

Remove the wings. These are very heavy. Remove the rails. These can make the saw awkward to move. You can remove the two cranks (these are heavy cast iron). Leave the motor as is. With the wings and rails removed, you should be able to move all the parts fairly easily. A hand truck is useful. Be careful not to lose any screws or small parts. Re-assembly and tune up should be a 2-3 hour job. If you need a PM66 manual, ask.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you have people, can get by w/o the whole top--just the fence, wings and motor are enough. Then, use some blocking for an intermediate point and set the bottom on the truck first. The table then gives a good handhold to rotate it up. Two of use did it w/ mine...

Isn't there any dock at the shop at all, though?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth