Move over, SawStop ...

... here comes BladeStop!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NiRegdech_E?autoplay=1

http://www.bladestop.com
"BladeStop™ improves band saw safety, with the ability to stop a bandsaw blade within a fraction of a second from when contact is made with the operator, reducing serious band saw blade injuries. BladeStop™ mechanically stops the bandsaw blade when the control unit determines a person has come in contact with the blade -- stopping the blade operation within 9 milliseconds of sensing a person's finger or hand!"
I have to say, I am sorry to see that.
It means that all over the internet, in a high concentration here, and at t he old men's table at Woodcraft the teeth gnashing will start.
Screams of civil rights violations, chest thumping of those declaring that their generation had no guards or safety devices and they were fine, the pa ranoids buying saws now before the nanny state Commie/weenies make safety s ome kind of bullshit issue... all of it.
Ready for the first 250 thread here for a long, long time. Nothing like ge tting a good bitch on to fire one up, though.
Robert
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:04:21 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

the old men's table at Woodcraft the teeth gnashing will start.

t their generation had no guards or safety devices and they were fine, the paranoids buying saws now before the nanny state Commie/weenies make safety some kind of bullshit issue... all of it.

getting a good bitch on to fire one up, though.

I think it's a great idea.
There you go, I just canceled out your bitch and saved us 248 posts.
You're welcome. ;-)
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 5:59:00 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

¡Gracias!
Robert

????
nb
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

technophobia [tek-nuh-foh-bee-uh] noun -- abnormal fear of or anxiety about the effects of advanced technology.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NzEeJca_YaQ?autoplay=1&autohide=1&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

replying to Spalted Walt, Ernesto wrote: I recently read Max Tegmark's new book "Life 3.0" and have read others by Ray Kurzweil and other physicists and engineers that touch on this subject. As a result I know that everything in this video is accurate and disturbingly likely. I don't believe those who are never content with the amount of power and wealth they have will refrain from developing this technology, especially because in their ignorance and arrogance they will mistakenly believe they will be able to control it once they have it. As such, I don't think the efforts to restrict and guide the development of AI will be successful in keeping us safe from the dark side of strong AI.
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:04:43 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

I'm not sure how this will work out on usenet, but I'm going to present a scenario and ask for an answer. After some amount of time, maybe 48 hours, since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I'll expand on that scenario and ask for another answer.
Trust me, this will eventually lead back to technology, AI and most certainly, people.
In the following scenario you must assume that all options have been considered and narrowed down to only 2. Please just accept that the situation is as stated and that you only have 2 choices. If we get into "Well, in a real life situation, you'd have to factor in this, that and the other thing" we'll never get through this exercise.
Here goes:
5 workers are standing on the railroad tracks. A train is heading in their direction. They have no escape route. If the train continues down the tracks, it will most assuredly kill them all.
You are standing next to the lever that will switch the train to another track before it reaches the workers. On the other track is a lone worker, also with no escape route.
You have 2, and only 2, options. If you do nothing, all 5 workers will be killed. If you pull the lever, only 1 worker will be killed.
Which option do you choose?
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

As my school bus driver explained nearly 50 years ago, the lessor of evils in this case would be to kill the lone worker... In the case of the bus, it would be to run over a kid on the side of the road rather than have a head-on collision with a large truck.
While troubling as a kid it made sense then and it still makes sense...
Just to throw this in: In real life a speeding train suddenly and unknowingly switching tracks is not a good thing... hundreds could be killed or injured if it were a passenger train!
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:45:53 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

However, you have no participated in a murder. How do you look in orange?

We're not talking about reality, here. ;-)
On 11/22/2017 6:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Pull the lever, Choosing to do nothing is the choice to kill 5.
On 11/22/2017 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

Well I have mentioned this before, and it goes back to comments I have made in the past about decision making. It seems the majority here use emotional over rational thinking to come up with a decision.
It was said you only have two choices and who these people are or might be is not a consideration. You can't make a rational decision with what-if's. You only have two options, kill 5 or kill 1. Rational for me says save 5, for the rest of you that are bringing in scenarios past what should be considered will waste too much time and you end up with a kill before you decide what to do.

Rational thinking would state that trains run on a schedule, the switch would be locked, and for better or worse the five were not supposed to be there in the first place.
So how can I make a decision more rational than the scheduler, even if I had the key to the lock.
On 11/22/2017 1:17 PM, OFWW wrote:

No, you are adding "what if's to the given restraints. This is easy, you either choose to move the switch or not. There is no other situation to consider.

Again you are adding what-if's.
On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 7:12:18 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

te:

vanced

&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

ent

8

for

nto

and

ther

rker,

ll

I tried, I really tried:
"Please just accept that the situation is as stated and that you only have 2 choices. If we get into "Well, in a real life situation, you'd have to factor in this, that and the other thing" we'll never get through this exercise."

On 11/22/2017 9:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Precisely!
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 19:47:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Snip>
Ok, then I opt to let er fly, and not interfere since morals or values cannot be a part of the scenario without it being a "what if".

I understand what you are saying, but I would consider them inherent to the scenario.
On 11/23/2017 1:14 AM, OFWW wrote:

LOL. Yeah well blame Derby for leaving out details to consider. ;~)
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 10:21:38 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

rote:

=1&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

esent

48

sk for

en

into

t and

in

the

nother

worker,

will

ve

use

ght

or

ast

th a

ou

The train schedule, labor contract and key access process was not available at the time of my posting. Sorry.