Possible DeWalt workaround answer to the SawStop?

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"When a portion of the users body (hand) gets close enough to the blade to trigger the safety mechanism, the kerf plate of the table saw is driven upward to push the hand (and likely the material being cut) up and away from the saw blade".

Does anyone else here see a problem with this?

I can't see this sort of mechanism operating anywhere nearly as quickly as the SawStop. While it might work fast enough to prevent an amputation, I very much doubt that it will be able to prevent deep cuts and serious injury.

Also, it seems to me that this will almost guarantee a bad kickback if it triggers during a rip cut: whether the work is guided by hand or by featherboards, it's almost sure to shift a little bit at least, at the same time that it will be lifted clean off the table (and possibly over the rip fence). While the device may succeed in preventing (or reducing the severity of) hand injuries, I can see it *causing* a variety of other injuries, too.

Other questions arise, too: Will it work with shop-made zero clearance inserts (which are non-conductive), or only with the metal factory throat plate? Will it function properly if there are hold-downs in use?

I'm betting this never makes it to market.

Reply to
Doug Miller

IIRC it is when the hand touches the blade.

""Alternatively, according to a second aspect, the safety mechanism is arranged to rapidly urge an extremity of the user away from the active portion of the power tool." So from what I understand, the safety mechanism detects contact with the blade (active portion), but instead of stopping the blade, a second safety mechanism is used to move your hand away from the blade."

So far I don't.

that it will be

I don't know, if the "lift" on the insert moves as quickly as the saw stop brake it should work fast enough.

However the plate itself coming up that fast might break a finger,, ;~)

triggers during a rip

to shift a little

possibly over the rip

I would think that if it triggers as quickly as the SawStop brake that a kick back would probably be slight at most.

(which are

properly if there

Again since it was inferred that it activates when touching the blade the material for the insert should not be a factor in triggering.

But then again they double speak and mention when it detects when the hand is close enough to the blade.

Hard to say what the mean exactly..

Perhaps but there was a vast number that said the same about the SawStop.

Reply to
Leon

I also thought about the finger-breaking possibility, too. Kind of like air bags, which can break glasses, thumbs, or even arms if they get in the way.

I also wonder about cuts in heavy wood. I don't know about you, but sometimes I cut large, heavy planks, but not too thick. So if you are cutting a heavy wide board, weighing 10 or 15 lbs., can this thing push it up fast enough to urge your fingers out of the way?

As far as the SawStop controversy, jeez, will everyone just get over it? In mass production it will add a small amount to the prices of saws, can be disabled if not desired, and if automatically mounted on all saws will protect the idiots who value a few dollars over their fingers. Just like seat belts and air bags in cars. They come with the cars, but can be disabled. If some guys really, really, really want saws without SawStops, there are uncountable used saws on the market in great condition.

Reply to
scritch

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:54:57 -0700, scritch

It's not the money that everybody is PO ed off about. It's "How dare anyone try to have my money regulated away from me."

Reply to
Dave

The issue has *nothing* to do with the cost of the hardware.

Reply to
krw

Oh... you mean like with Obamacare and onerous gun licensing and registration regulations? ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

RE: Subject

Why bother?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

that it will be

triggers during a rip

to shift a little

possibly over the rip

Imagine a light piece of 1/2 square being cut.. and triggering while the miter gauge and fingers are in place. The miter gauge binds... Now you have a real problem.. Or the 1/2 sq. piece is thrown at the user at a high rate.

(which are

properly if there

I agree, this is probably a big problem.

Me too. I think it has a set of problems, but it's a good start. I still like Saw Stop, but maybe Gass has exceeded his welcome...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Q: Why does Obamacare require 20,000 new IRS agents to be hired?

A: To handle all the _personal_bank_account_ oversight the gov't will now have under the new regs.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's more than that. It's more "how dare they regulate money from my pocket into Gass'". ...or how dare they give a product with a legal monopoly (patent) a real market monopoly (all power saws).

Reply to
krw

It doesn't have to work with inserts or very well at all.

The only thing it has to do is satisfy the (proposed) California requirements.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think a little C3 planted around the insert set to blow your hand off before you could possibly whack off a fing-ee would suffice. In California a LOT of C3 would be even better...

Reply to
Jack