Mounting router to Ridgid TS3650

I am considering mounting a router table to the right wing of my TS3650. Basically just a piece of framed melamine, bolted to the wing and to the rails. This would allow me to use the TS fence for the router but I am concerned about the stress this might cause on the rails and wing? Any thoughts?

Reply to
Locutus

First, I don't own a TS3650 so I am talking from memory and a couple of web sites I have looked at. You might have some reason for concern. I believe the saw has cast iron wings but they have slots running parallel to the table edge. Rigid implies the purpose for the slots is to allow clamping of jigs and featherboards. I suspect they saved weight and material cost too. Nevertheless, I would think the wings are plenty strong.

Memory and pictures suggest the fence rails are aluminum. While the front rail looks pretty beefy, there might be concern regarding the back rail. It might need some help with addition of a piece of heavier extrusion (angle-iron?) that would have to be incorporated into the entire length of the rail. You might also be able to add angled supports from the saw base up to the ends of the rails. I have seen pictures of this on other saws and it works particulary well with a mobile base. I'm thinking out loud here and you'll have to make the judgement.

Your post caught my eye because I have gathered parts; and am getting ready to make this mod to my table saw too.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I have almost the same TS model (older, 27" deep, looks like the same rails, frame and wheels, etc). I replaced the wing (on the left side when facing the saw) with a Sears version of a router table extension (PART 0925351). I was far from happy and ended up with many modifications to both the fence and aluminum extension. I modified the dust collection, added a proper miter track to the outer edge, T-track on the fence, ... I should have made it from scratch.

If you want to spend some $, you may want to check out the Bench Dog extension.

As for the wing support, I didn't find the rails to be too flexible. However, it would take some care mounting a home made top to the bolt slots of the front and back rails (note the aluminum edge components in both the models I mentioned). If you intend to mount it beyond the existing right wing, I think it would likely need additional adjustable support (the Sears version is held by bolts in the rail slots tightened from below while attempting to get the whole thing in the plane - takes a few tries).

-S

The main thing about the holes is it makes assembly easy. You can get

3 C clamps in there to align it and hold it while you snug up the bolts. I have used the holes to get a clamp in there to hold a diagonal fence for doing raised panels.

You're right, the back rail is really tiny It's also shorter than the front rail. Also the wings don't have any holes on the outside so you'll have to drill them yourself. My intention is to remove the wing when I get around to doing it myself. I'd rather have one continuous surface on the fence side than the holes in the wing.

I should also say you ought to run a rail or two under the melamine so it doesn't sag over time.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Can't say about the rails on that saw but I mounted my router in the framed melamine extension table on my Jet TS (the melamine is 3/4 and the frame is 1x3 oak).

The melamine and frame have sagged from the weight of the light router (PC 693) even though the frame is securely bolted on three sides. As already suggested reinforce the melamine in some way, double it or add 'stretchers' of some sort.

Reply to
RayV

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to