Mitreing?

Stupid question, but here goes... a piece of timber, lets say 18" x 12" x1" thick. It needs the edges mitre cutting so it will mate with another piece to produce a 90e corner.

How?

david

Reply to
david

Do you have a table saw? Set the blade to the proper angle and push it through. Circular saw can work, but takes a little more skill to get a perfect cut. Hand saw can work, but takes a lot more skill to do it right.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lay it out however you like (with compasses or a big speed square), then make a fence with a straight length of wood and clamp it onto the plank. Use it as a guide for a circular saw.

Reply to
Prometheus

What kind of 90 angle do you want? Do you mean a bevel so you could end up with a 12" deep box, or a miter so you could end up with a 12" wide picture frame? Assuming the picture-frame type miter/mitre, I'd probably use a handheld circular saw on carefully drawn layout lines with a straightedge guide (or a TS or sliding miter saw if I had one). Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Just an assumption here but are you must be making a box. What tools do you have at you disposal? Table saw, router or shaper, circular saw or hand planes? How precise do you want this box? Furniture or utility?

Dave

Teamcasa

Thanks all. I am making a box.

Tools...hmm. Try "none". In fact I have a 22" hand saw, a mitre block, an electric jig saw and that's it.

I need to buy don't i? A table saw and a plane seem the first aqcuisitions!

Reply to
david

Buy a speed square at any hardware store. Draw your45 degree line.Measure the distance from the ouside edge of your jig saw to your sharp blade. Clamp a board that same distance parallel to the line and saw your 45 degree.When you get more proficient you will hold the speed square and use its edge to guide the jigsaw.

Reply to
henry