Mission Furniture

I'm not a fan of mission style, but I know many of you are. This guy does some of the best I've seen. I think you'll enjoy it:

Jeff

you, "not a fan of mission style", like him is his pieces have the appearance of being heavily influenced by the likes of Greene & Greene, who really put their own personal stamp on the "Arts and Crafts" style of furniture/architecture.

Ever get a chance, the next time you're at a bookstore, get a copy of "American Bungalow" magazine, a publication that is doing its best to keep this particular idiom of "Arts and Crafts" alive.

Reply to
Swingman

Angela bought me a book by Darrell Peart:

Greene & Greene Design Elements for the Workshop

One of the nicest Christmas gifts this year. Shows you how to do those ebony accents and pegs. I can't say I categorically like ALL G&G stuff, but they have some wonderful designs. And, IMHO, quite different in style than Stickley's interpretation of 'mission'.

There are some fonts in circulation called Arts & Crafts (True-type and PS). Some are very nice. (IIRC, you did a house number once using a similar font.. that's still stuck in my memory as one of the nicer pieces I have seen coming out of here.) ...

Robatoy

"Robatoy"

Gee ... thanks! You mean this:

?I always considered that more "Down & Dirty" than Greene & Greene.

go figure ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.

I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.

This is also 'down and dirty':

's riffs were 'down and dirty'.

That house number has a very pleasing balance and there is more to that than just getting lucky.

I can't say much more, because people will start to talk..*G*

Robatoy

I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.

I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.

I say the exact same thing to some of my customers that pull out a tape measure to center a piece of furniture that I have moved for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Reply to
Leon

I was going to take Darrel's class at Mr Ng's shop in Southern California next month but it conflicted with trip to Maui. Wood and sunny beaches, really pretty much a toss up for me. If bikini clad woman would wonder through the wood shop now and then, maybe I wouldn't get to Hawaii so often. He'll have some more classes later this year supposedly so maybe I'll go up to Washington and see his new shop too.

I love craftsman, mission, prarie, even like lots o' shaker. I used to think G&G was kind of heavy and over ornate but interesting details. When you see a nice piece in person it has a huge amount of interest. After seeing Darrels work I gained a much deeper appreciation of the style.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com