Metalwork - Rusty Weather Vane - Remove, Then Prevent Rust

Wow. That shows a failure of some sort. Choice of materials, application, conditions.

Yep.

Although I've been in companies which seem to expect to have it possible that nothing ever will go wrong. Maybe I'm old, cynical, and pessimistic, but planning for the worst helps to keep it from happening.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Eastwood.com Patina preserver. Used by the rat-rod guys and the "barn find preservers" it is a clearcoat DESIGNED to go on bare metal. Most clear coats have a VERY LIMITED lifespan on bare metal - powder coat included

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If it is rusting I doubt there is a remaining finish.

Reply to
Leon

"Dr. Deb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Does it contain Phosphoric Acid?

I think that's the key ingredient in many rust removal/conversion products.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The website says "protection last 12 months" which I'm sure is acceptable.

He said that the WD-40 and #1 steel wool cleaning was not that much work and that was with the amount of rust you see in the image I linked to. If it's caught quickly each year, cleaning and re-coating should be an easy task.

I'll pass the tip along. Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you just want clear coat over plain steel? Wire brush, sanding will get you their quickly. Many clear finishes that would work.

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it. Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Chrome? Silver metallic? It's already got the big fins. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Per Monsieur Snyder, I'm suggesting this to the owner:

DerbyDad03

If it was me I'd replace the steel with some bare aluminum and be done with it.

Reply to
gray_wolf

The brings to mind American Pickers. They often buy stuff that is rusty and leave it that way as many people like the patina. Cleaning it up can destroy the value to others.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Brushed stainless

Reply to
krw

+1

LOL

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Or just remake the thing in stainless.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the steel with aluminium.

Once the steel is removed, all that would be left is the empty spaces. How would he find them to put back in the aluminum?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You put them back in before you take the old ones out! Sheesh, these people!

Reply to
krw