Bathroom paint prep

I'm painting a bathroom soon. There are two problem areas I want to make sure I get prepped right.

First, above the shower, there is a metal dry-wall corner that's rusting through some nicked paint in a few places. At this point, it's just minor rust stains on white ceiling paint but I want to prevent the stains from coming back and make sure the metal doesn't rust out. What's the best way to seal it in?

Second, there's a area across from the sink where over spray from hair products lands. Do I need to clean is really well before repainting? If so, what's best? I've heard of TSP being use for thorough paint prep but I'd usually use alcohol to remove hair spray. What's the best paint or finish to use to make cleaning up the hair spray easiest in the future?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Nelson

I did that in our bath 4 or 5 yrs ago. I used my Dremel tool to grind off the rust and immediately painted on some Rustoleum primer. When that was cured, I painted with alkyd semigloss. There was a spot at the bottom that had rusted entirely through...one side of the corner has tile right up to the edge. I dug out the rust, put a little glop of clear silicone on the cut end of the corner bead, said a little prayer, and packed in some spackle to fill my excavation. Looks fine so far :o)

Denatured alcohol. If the paint starts to soften, leave it and sand lightly with fine sandpaper.

TSP is not magic. Any household cleaner should be fine...fantastic, formula 409, spic/span.

I wouldn't really worry about the hair spray unless it is so thick the texture shows through the paint.

Reply to
norminn

I know you won't like this answer... Replace the metal corner with a vinyl one.

Remove the hairspray. I'd use TSP, rinse, and follow up with alcohol. A clean wall is very important. Repair holes, cracks, etc. Select a high quality primer and paint (such as Benjamin Moore) that is a "Kitchen and Bath" paint.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd second Norminn's advice to sand the metal and use Rustoleum followed by whatever final coat you intend to use. Above a shower, I'd probably make that a semi-gloss coat or at least a satin.

The hairspray, as long as the surface is smooth I would just paint over it, but then that opinion is not based on actual experience. I just think dried hairspray is not going to be a problem.

Reply to
trader4

USG Dura-Bead Cornerbead is Galvinized. It won't rust..I have scraps out behind the garage that have been there a year or two and no rust...No need to use vinyl as it won't match the other cornerbead in the bathroom......The bead is slightly larger..Regardless he doesn't need to replace it...I would just sand the rusty spots , touch up if necessary and get a spray can of Binz or similar and spray it as well as any other bad areas (hairspray) and touch-ups...HTH...

Reply to
benick