Best way to treat rust along bottom of overhead garage door

I have a WayneDalton steel garage door. The rubber gasket and steel holder was totally rusted out and I removed it with the intent of buying a new gasket and mounting assembly. But, I discovered that the outer steel panel is rusted along the bottom edge of the bottom panel where it contacted the gasket mounting assembly and needs treatment or it will rust out and then I'll have a bigger problem.

Should I try something like Naval jelly to neutralize the rust and then spray paint some of Rustoleum's best quality paint along the inside and outside of the bottom panel, or something else? I live in the Chicago suburbs so plenty of winter snow can accumulate along the bottom of the door before I get it removed, so there is a lot of contact with moisture. I'm sure the bottom gasket assembly helped trap moisture against the panel and that is where almost all the rust is, but the new gasket assembly will also likely trap moisture in the same place so I am looking for a good seal, as much as possible anyway. \

Help and TIA,.

Bob

Reply to
hrhofmann

Look up thread, rust remover, in this group.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

POR 15, or Hammerite

Reply to
clare

Hammerite seems to not be available in the USA, POR is not a spray. I really need a spray paint or I will have to do some major disassembly to work the paint into some deep recesses.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Sand, Bondo and spray automobile undercoating.

Reply to
Thomas

As for as removing the rust, Google "farm machinery rust removal" for the best rust removal products. Once the rust has been removed, spray a metal primer, first, then paint.

Reply to
Sonny

Disassembly your WayneDalton steel garage door steel holder, that is totally rusted out, and take it to a Automobile Repair Shop, they will make it look new for able $50 to $75..

and stop putting Salt on ice by steel garage door.....

Reply to
Hot-Text

*I have personally found that Navel Jelly does not do a complete job, but it can be worth using as a starting point. The best thing to do is both sanding and wire brushing to get rid of all the rust. In some cases I have used my angle grinder to get the bulk of the rust off.

Make sure the surface is clean and then use Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer and let it dry at least two full days before recoat or top coat. Then use the Stops Rust Rust-oleum paint on top of the primer and let it dry at least two full days before recoating.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Buy a cheap sprayer from Harbour Fright or your cheap tool emporium of choice, or buy a "pre-val" In a pinch using a syringe and brush will also do the job.

Reply to
clare

Or "box liner"

Reply to
clare

I don't use sald on my driveway, local govt uses much sand, little salt, area rusted not exposed to salt, just lots of moisture.

Reply to
hrhofmann

ide quoted text -

Thanx, See new post about AL angle