Maybe someones done it?

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect. You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this? Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Don't recall who it is but someone currently makes one something like that. It doesn't flip completely over but goes up to about 45 degrees and locks there. Quite the handy feature. Wish I'd remembered it last table I built.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, I know there's the router raiser and and spanner for unlocking the collet shaft nut,but you still have to stoop/bend down to adjust the routers height. Whereas a 45 degrees flip and the height can be ajusted at normal standing position.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's what I meant. The top lifts up to a 45 degree angle allowing you access to the router. No bending required. Now, If I could remember who it was that made it...

Reply to
CW

Reply to
MikeG

Sir Ben,

Mine doesn't flip 180 degrees, but I built the whole top with hinges on the back, so I can lift up the top like the one MikeG showed us.

The top is really heavy with the router installed, and mine isn't 100lbs of cast iron, either. In my case if I lift too high the whole thing wants to tip backwards, so I have to be careful. I did it this way because I didn't have an insert plate when I first built it; the router was bolted right to the top. It was enough to get by. Mine is thick plywood, though, so maybe a thinner metal top like Lee Valley's would work better than mine. Mine was made from scrap so it was a lot cheaper. :)

Eventually I bought a Lee Valley insert plate and cam lifter. I use that more often than lifting up the whole top. When it's in the top like that you kind of have to reach a bit to work on the router, and unless you can flip it high enough to clear the frame of your table, you have other obstacles to reach past.

Maybe popping out the router like the Rosenthals do is still the simplest option for someone in your situation. Sorry about your back.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

"MikeG" wrote in news:tlyKg.2445$v% snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Looking at that site reminded me of the last woodworking show I attended. I saw some very impressive router tables but the stands were miserable. The legs were thin, flimsy, and cheaply made. One was so bad than I bent the leg by hand. I easily straigtened it. I asked a few vendors if they had a better stand and all said "no". After a while one could see that the majority of the stands were made by one company.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

I looked at the table and read the discussion and found even more post-decision support for buying my shaper! For the tasks that really need heavy duty tables and power I think the shaper is better suited. For lighter tasks my table top PC router table suffices. Your mileage may vary! ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:5yCKg.2484$v% snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

A shaper is nice and if you have the room and money for it. go for it!

I have had a router table for a while now and there are times when I wish I had a shaper.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Sun, Sep 3, 2006, 5:28am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk (The3rd=A0Earl=A0Of=A0Derby) doth queryeth: I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

Too much of a toy for me. You need to learn to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I dunno of you can view this, just now my systems tells me it can't find it - or any of my web pages. Stupid programmers must be making more "improvements" - something like this ALWAYS happens when they do that. Stupid programmers..

was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

Wood Magazine had the plans for a table just like your wanting several years ago. The table lifted to about 45 degrees for bit changes and hight adjustment. First one:

one:

Jody

Although it's not a 180 degree flip-top, the Charnwood WO15 has a cast iron table which tilts up at the front to 45 degrees to allow access to the router below the table. This may be the one CW was thinking of. In the words of the manufacturer:

------- To give easy access to the router when changing settings the whole table top is hinged and supported by gas filled struts to counteract the heavy weight of the cast iron top.

-------

See

and

Forrest Anderson

Looks like the Grizzly G0528 with different color paint:

don't know what "adjustments" you plan on doing with the table either at an angle or flipped over. When you're setting bit height you generally have the stock on the table and you need to get your eye level with the bit.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I'm not understanding why anyone would want to flip the whole table over. I know, you've said for adjustments (for changing bit height I assume) or the aformentioned cleaning, but why not have a device for adjusting the router height from above the table. I believe those are attached to plates that hang in a rabbet in the table's surface. While I don't have a router raiser or whatever they're called, I do have mine attached to an aluminum plate that hangs on a rabbet. When I need to clean it or change bits, it lifts up very easily.

One of those router raiser things is looking very attractive.

Reply to
George Max