Marc Spagnuolo - The Money Whisperer!

IIRC SYP is/was the preferred wood to use in the south because of its resistance to insects.

Reply to
Leon

Pfffffft! Crom, of course I know. I stated it in the post to Swingy, too. Pressure treating is a surface treatment that's supposed to be-- but isn't very--penetrating. Go to that site I linked and read up, boy. And pay attention next time, huh? I'dve thought you'd learn from the little cement board talk we had. ;)

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Our state says that everyone works to the same code. Residential has their section and Commercial has their section.

Still, the IRC is International, and that's the point I was making. The world is getting away from country-based codes (or lack thereof) to make buildings safer worldwide. More strict is OK, less not so.

Exceptions are neither the law nor best practices. It appears that our Doug Fir is like your SYP. It lasts as well outside on decks as the currently feeble pressure treatment of truly nasty wood they sell as PT lumber any more.

Interesting. What's SYP? Never seen it. ;) Anyway, is it specified for sill plates or other possibly wet areas? Seeing the one green stud there with the jbolt through it in the video, I doubt it is in Aridzona.

OK. If that's your stance, you live with it. We've already determined that we need to go with the code, but I never said it was required in all jurisdictions nor did I state that it is for all materials. I was talking specifically about PT. Stop stirrin' the shit, mon.

Oh, please. Those were industry standards sites.

Breed and license number, please.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You might want to do a little more research.

Reply to
Leon

You brought it up, and gave the cite to bolster your point ... so if you had indeed read it, you would know that the quote above is taken directly from your cite, and _is_ from the "best practices".

You really DO need to read that Google acquired knowledge in its entirety, Bubba. ;)

Nuff said, Larry ... if you are not familiar the various types/classifications/grades of construction lumber, it is even more apparent that you are letting Google do your talking

Some of us put wisdom/knowledge in the body of the post, you seem to be relying solely on your taglines. :)

Reply to
Swingman

"If, if, if" isn't that post in the video, is it? Nor is that ground contact rated. But I've cut into GCR posts and seen white centers, too, about 3 years ago.

Mills used to care! They also used a much better pesticide and mildewcide than we can now buy.

Yeah, that one green studlet just might have been a leftover from a termite-treated stud. That means the sillplate isn't PT.

I started this portion of the thread as a statment of notice. I noticed that the sill plate wasn't treated. What it turned into is a PITA. I'm done. You go ahead, if he hasn't noticed.

Ask the guys at the mill if their GCR PT is green/brown all the way through. I'll bet money they tell you "No, it isn't."

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So you don't have PT SYP? That is probably your complaint with PT if you don't. And is fir termite resistant?

SYP, Southern Yellow Pine. Harder than a few hard woods.

I suppose the problem here is that we have much better PT than you. Our PT is SYP. And again we have different grades of PT where the penetration goes very deep inside the wood.

Reply to
Leon

I have already provided a couple of possible explanations of what you might be seeing.

I can still buy the good PT post today. Perhaps you can't where you live.

PT sill plates were not pretreated, they were sprayed after the fact.

You are apparently the only one that seems to think something is wrong.

All you have to do is look at the end of the board.

Reply to
Leon

I give up.

LJ out.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I came up against something I wasn't certain on, I asked for your help. This is what I get? Thanks, Teach.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What you got was an answer that you did not like.

Reply to
Leon

That's absolutely true.