maple color...

Hello guy`s

Last march I started doing my kitchen cabinets, I did all the box and started doing doors... but I was only able to do half or so of them and had to stop to do other thing.

Last night I headed back in the shop to work on this project again, by the end of the night I had all my jigs setup and was ready to start production again :c)

The problem I have is that the new maple I have to do my stile and rails is a different color then my panel insert (1/4 particle veneer). The color of the veneer is more of a pinkish color and the frame is more of a yellow color.

Here is a photo at

can really see it in the photo but it's the best shot I could take)

Once finish, (water-based Varathane Dimond wood finish) what are my chances that the doors be the same color after a couple of months or so?

Thanks

Christia

Reply to
Christian
[...]
[...]

Maple will definately darken when exposed to sunlight. Try leaving the new pieces in direct sunlight for a few days and see how they compare.

If you are planning on a natural finish with no stain, a certain amount of color variation has to be expected. Dyeing and staining will make the color uniform, but of course, you lose the natural look.

I would try and play catch up with the fresh pieces (by putting them in sunlight) before finishing, so as to leave all options open. Wouldn't want to finish them and have them never look right.

Reply to
Juvenal

I did my cabs in maple w/ ply panels about 4.5 years ago. The finish was wb poly.

I distinctly recall finding that one face of the ply had a distinctly pinkish hue. IIRC I put the pink side on the interior. I just looked... if anything, the interior is slightly darker than the surrounding solid stiles and rails, but it is *not* pinkish.

I would add, however that these cabinets have ambered significantly. Not that it's bad, just more than I would have expected for WB poly. I assume that the color change is the wood not the finish.

Reply to
Ceridwen

Could one of the sides be veneer be in hard maple and the other be in soft maple?

C.

Reply to
Christian

It's peel versus sawed, and the way they return light. Your interior veneers are peeled, which is why they exhibit the wider annual ring pattern. They may never be the same in color, but who cares, since they're otherwise visually different? You've got some good veneer, clear of heart and mineral stains, so the difference will fade over time.

Reply to
George