Makita LS1040 vs Dewalt DW703 COMPOUND SAW'S

Hi all, I am considering purchasing either one of these saw. I live in Australia and there is no difference in price between them so cost is not a issue. I have visually compared the two saws and noticed that the Dewalt has a smoother cutting stroke and also has a larger fence and base. I would like to hear what other people have to say regarding these two compound mitre saws. Thanks in advance.

Regards WAYNE

Reply to
Anonymous

On Fri 14 Nov 2003 08:15:33p, (WAYNE SCICLUNA) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

I don't own one but I start thinking about it every time the bank account gets big enough. Then it always gets smaller for some reason.

While I was thinking about it last time, I googled on both of those plus others and I'm betting the DeWalt gets the most votes. I did run into one guy with a Makita, not sure if it was the same model. He said he didn't like its accuracy.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

that's funny! I was soundly scolded for mentioning that from what I've read and observed (without buying and using one, mind you), that a slider is inherently less accurate. Folks swear by them, according to the denizens of the Wreck. guess YMMV, like anything else.

dave

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hi Wayne,

has some (limited) discussion.

The Makita has an extra 50 watts power, a dust bag, is lighter, usually $5-10 cheaper.

There really is not a lot of difference between the two, if there was a dealer close by for one or the other I'd probably choose them. Both companies make good products, though expensive. I have both Makita and DeWalt tools, my preference for the machining and build quality leans slightly to Makita, but not by much.

I'd say it will come down to the best price between the two. I'm glad to see you are not considering GMC or Ozito, but what about Hitachi? See the Hitachi #C10FCBat

(no affiliation etc)

BTW, I do not have a compound mitre saw, mine is the Makita LS1013. So far, I have not noticed any real difference in cut quality between the slider and my old Makita compound mitre saw (which was an excellent machine).

Greg (Melbourne)

Reply to
Groggy

I have a Craftsman 12" CSMS and the only reason I got this one compared to any of the others I played with was the ability to set the bevel in 1 Deg. increments. The scale on the Craftsman is larger than the others I saw and hence easier to read and set. I would check the saws you have in mind for ease in setting the miter and bevel.

Reply to
Erik

BTW, It's one heck of a saw - Very pleased with it and is dead on accurate unlike BAD's 8~)

Reply to
Erik

Hi all, Thanks for everyone's input. I think I stick with my original choice decision and go with the Dewalt. Does anyone know if the extension arms and or job clamp comes standard with it?

Regards WAYNE

Reply to
Anonymous