Dewalt DW746

I just bought a Dewalt DW746 w/mobile base from the Newspaper. It's about 2 years old, and in great shape. I paid $650 for it. I though this was pretty good, was I right?

If you have one of these, do you like it?

Thanks Ben

Reply to
bdunlap73

Ben,

IMO - it's a pretty good deal if the saws good shape. I think they go for about $950 for the base model.

I've had one for about 3 years, used it heavily, and still like it. First thing I did was put a WWII on it - I think that blade makes any saw work better.

Good points:

1)Decent power on 120v 2)Runs pretty smooth. 3)Knee switch for shut-off 4)Fence moves easily and locks square 5)Minimal initial tuning required. 6)Table was dead flat 7) Retains tune-up well 8) Easy to read scale on fence

My complaints:

1) Sliding table (optional) was out of flat by almost .15" (not kidding). Have to say though that the Dewalt service center replaced without question even though I'd had it for over a year before I took it in. 2) Extension table (optional) began to sag shortly after installing a router. Easily fixed with angle iron and shims though. 3) Sliding table mitre has too much flex. Replaced w/Incra mitre. 4) Dust colleciton is acceptable but could be better 5) Installation of 52" extension and sliding table was a bear (at least for me)

If buying another hybrid I'd buy the Dewalt again just for the service experience. I've been thinking of a PM66 (or the new PM - forget the model) for my next saw though :^)

HTH

Reply to
eric

Got it - like it a lot. Did 2 things to make me love it:

  1. Wired it for 220
  2. Bought the sliding table
Reply to
gw

What's the benefit to wiring it for 220V? Can all induction motors be wired for 220V?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

The motor used to bog down while cutting thick hardwoods. No more. It also starts instantly rather than start slow and spool up to speed. The motor housing should state if it can be wired for 220V.

Reply to
gw

Used one in a shop I worked at. It had the 50" fence and sliding table. Power OK (1 3/4 hp @ 110V), fence surprisingly good for what it looked like, loved the sliding table, hated the miter gauge contraption on the sliding table (a square lived near the saw), and the dust collection sucked (not literally). I think they paid something like $1100 for it. (pity, another $600 and they would have had a 3hp Unisaw). But $650 isn't bad. So glad you didn't say you bought a Jet Stupid Saw, I mean, Super Saw.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

. But $650 isn't bad. So glad

Just Curious...since I have owned and used (heavily) a Jet Cabinet Saw for the last 10-15 years....

Is the "Stupid: saw that bad... ? and basically why..?

Again just curious because I have absolutely no intentions of replacing my saw... and to be honest if I did it would be another Cabinet saw. .

Bob G..

Reply to
Bob G.

I agree with most of the above. I have the DW746, and have over time added the sliding table (mine was flat), and the 52" rails. The table mitre does have too much flex in it, but I've just lived with it. Which Incra did you add? Also, not as easy to fasten a jig to the fence as some others. But overall, I really like it (with the WWII) Eric

Reply to
Eric Berning

replying to Eric Berning, Mike wrote: Where can I get a sliding table for the 746

Reply to
Mike