Making wood filler

Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler? I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well. A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too shiny and I should mix it with something else. Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Goodin

Mix glue and the sawdust from the project your gluing. works great! But you may have a hard time getting it to take stain.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Go with the shellac and sawdust. Mix it fairly thin and let it set up before you sand it off and decide if you need another application. Sanding prior to finishing will remove the shellac and "expose" the sawdust allowing it to take a finish. It will be darker than the surrounding wood but should "tone" nicely.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

It's white oak, so it will probably be painted. No worries.

John

EvoDawg wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

shellac probably will be too shiny. I would try colored wax fillers. The wax is hard and is mineral based [ozerkite ? spelling?] so finishes will take over it. Available at most finishing supply houses in a myriad of colors. fill the voids and rub out with oooosteel wool with mineral spirits if necessary.

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

I have added corn starch to counter the darkening effect. Sand a couple test patches to get the mix right, but it's often close to equal parts with the wood dust. Bandsaw dust works great.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Use hide glue.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

I have taken sawdust from various woods and mixed it into a plain plasticwood, but only to fill very small nicks and imperfections.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock