Filler

In looking through prior postings this has been beat to death but I'd like to poll folks before making a mess.

I's like to find or make a filler for birch that will accept stain well. I'm leaning towards birch sanding dust mixed with nitrocellulose lacquer. I see reference in prior postings to using shellac and PVA glues like Titebond as the liquid to be mixed with the dust. I don't see how much stain will be absorbed by any PVA glue, I'm not certain about shellac.

Am I better off if I "pre-stain" by mixing stain with the lacquer or will I get better results by staining the entire piece at one time?

In the past I've been disappointed with any filler I've bought.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Goop-On takes stain very well. Used in the floor trade. May hard to find. I use dust and wood flour cement, also known as wood doe base. Lacquer based.

Reply to
MSH

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:39:14 -0400, Phil Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

i have had good results with the rockler stuff called "wunderfill"

give it a try

T.

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Lacquer and dust pretty much describes wood putty, which will bridge large gaps. Heavy the dust, light the lacquer will accept stain, but it'll never look like wood, because it's going to soak light. That's why any filler will disappoint, it'll absorb stain and light differently than the wood.

If you are only concerned about less-than-perfect fitting joints, you might consider just rubbing the dust in and holding it with the oil in the stain. There's enough hold in the average stain to do this if you apply your finish carefully. The Watco lovers know about using sanding slurry to fill. Anything bigger and I'd consider wedging or a Dutchman to cover.

Reply to
George

But how long will it stay?

In the old floor days a mechanic would fill every hole by hand with the proper color to match the grain/wood color. He'd have 4-5 color mixes.

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH

As long as the finish that seals it in.

Reply to
George

laquer or glue will act as a barrier to stain . sand out and then stain, then fill the grain with coats of clear sand and sealer. when to your satis faction shoot a couple of coats of clear laquer . You could mix color into the final laquer coat but that is reserved for low quality stuff or special situations [in my opinion] mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide