louvres

Does anyone have an easy way of making a panel with louvres ? My son just bought a new house and at each end of the house under the roof peak, There is a panel with louvres. But. . it's only for looks ! They are molded plastic. He would like to make a duplicate panel but with louvres that have slots to vent the hot attic air out. Keep in mind this is a neighborhood where you can't put just anything on the house. (Association) I had in mind drilling vent holes behind the panel with louvres and cover the holes with screen. The panel in 22 in. wide by 34 long with an arch top.
thanks, Smitty
The house must have ridge vents inplace that's why they are not vented already.I wouldn't go to all that trouble. You can do it if you want but I'm just to lazy ,and don't know if you will gain anything .They do sell vented ones at the borg. Jr.
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

NOPE. . . no ridge vents. . . that's why I would like to go the louvre route. thanks tho, for your input.
Smitty
In article <405f94f7-b338-4f2b-aca1-695cb4d14400

Where is this? In most of the country he's going to need a lot more ventilation than gable end vents, louvered or not, are going to give. Soffit and ridge vents are far superior for most of the country.
--
Keith

The house is in Hawaii/Oahu. House is 3 yrs. old. there is some attic space as the roof has a steep pitch. There are some small vents under the eaves, but they do little to cool the attic. I figured some louvres on each end of the house would help. Of course a ridge vent the length of the house would be ideal, but this would have to be approved by the *Association*.
Thanks to all for the feedback, Smitty
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:50:29 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Is this a new house? If so, I can't believe that in this day and age anyone would build a house without some kind of venting for the attic. Is there any type of venting in the soffits?
If you do need to make vents, these guys can probably help. http://www.architecturaldepot.com/pc/GVWRT150/gable-vents-wood/
Mike O.

http://www.architecturaldepot.com/pc/GVWRT150/gable-vents-wood /
Mike. . . .the picture is exactly what the plastic panel looks like. I can duplicate it in redwood much cheaper & no shipping cost ! :)
thanks, Smitty

Look around for some bevel siding it's perfect for ripping down to make the slats with. And if you use cedar and stainless fasteners it will last a long long time.

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions. I solved the problem and also made it easier (I think !) I bought a metal louvred panal at HD for $20.oo I cut a square hole in the existing arched panel. Fit flushed from the backside. Should be OK. If it passes the eagle-eyes of the *Association" we'll be in business.
Smitty