Looking for Child / Toddler safe finishes

    Looking for some "toddler safe" finishes for some wood working. By "toddler safe" I don't mean that this is safe for a kid to apply, but is not going to be toxic if a kid sticks the finished piece in his mouth. Or chews on it, or any of the things which small children do to explore their world.     E.G., lead based paint is obviously straight off.
tschus pyotr -- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 9:36:06 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Shellac and bees wax.
On Wed, 30 May 2018 21:42:07 -0700 (PDT), Michael

Perhaps use a food-safe finish that is OK for wooden bowls and wooden serving spoons .. walnut oil http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p 056&cat=1,190,42942 tung oil http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p 049&cat=1,190,42942
read the "Tech" and "Inst" links that are embedded in the web page near the prices.
You don't state what you're finishing .. I've made folk toys and just left them unfinished. The very minor wear & tear makes them look natural and well loved. John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Thu, 31 May 2018 03:54:33 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Ummm - I don't know yet. She Who Makes These Plans hasn't given me a complete list. I'm not sure it these are "playing peices", peg people markers or something else.     But I thought I ought to plan ahead.

--
pyotr filipivich

If you turn the piece, you don't need a finish at all. Just sand your way through the grits until you get to 2000. This works best on pretty woods, I think the top I did this on was Sapele.
It's a bit time consuming for other pieces, even with one of Tom "Leon" Sawyer's Festool Makes Sanding Fun's sanders. Tell us, Leon... When was the last time you sanded Aunt Polly's fence? :-)
Puckdropper
On 5/31/2018 11:35 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Whaaaaaattttt? ;~)

shellac linseed oil when dry probably lacquer bees wax
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:36:06 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Well O.K. Here's My 2 cents.
Beeswax and Mineral oil
Here's a good article about Your Question and in it is directions to make it.
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/08/01/food-safe-finishes
rick B.
05:17:28 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Thanks.          That seems to answer a number of questions I didn't know I had.

--
pyotr filipivich

Can't buy lead paint these days. Any finish today, once cured, is safe. Shellac is best as it is used as a pharmaceutical coating.

So is "boiled" linseed oil, which in most cases has had various metals or metal oxides added to it to speed drying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Boiled_linseed_oil
These additives may or may not be child-safe. Google "boiled linseed oil MSDS" and you'll see what I mean.
The classic kid-safe finishes are shellac (frequently used to coat pharmaceuticals and candy) and beeswax -- both are totally non-toxic. But pretty much anything else, as long as it has dried, is non-toxic also.
On Wed, 30 May 2018 19:38:12 snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote:

the bug derived finishes come to mind
polys also are good but read the fine print as some require two weeks for full cure