Looking for CD organizer plan

I am looking for a plan for a floor mounted CD organizer that will hold

200-300 CDs. I have been on every plan website I know about but haven't found something that appeals to me. Does anyone have a site you can aim me at where you have found a CD organizer that you built and liked?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Most woodworking magazines sell plastic snap-in CD racks. With them as a basic building block, you can custom build any configuration you want. I built a small [144 CD's] rack with Black walnut and Cherry that looks very nice. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Do you happen to have any pictures of what you did that you could either post on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking or email to me directly?

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Rip 'em all to a PC, plug it into your receiver, put the CD's in the attic. Connect to it with remote destop and queue them up. Way to go...

-jtpr

Reply to
jtpr

Here is the one I made. Its for both DVD and CDs but you can arrange shelves and heights to your liking. Dave

Teamcasa

This is a matter of personal taste, but I've always found that simple shelves work best for storing CD's. Just line them up like books. Plastic inserts to hold each CD individually take up more space, and make it more difficult to remove and replace a CD. Plus, the handling of double CD's is always an issue ... with plastic inserts, how do you put a double CD in the correct order? From a woodworking standpoint, it's no big deal to make a set of shelves that could be floor-standing or wall-mounted. Holding a large music collection is always a challenge. Whatever you decide on, figure on a way that will allow for expansion.

Reply to
rjbonn

Thanks. That looks very nice.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Good suggestion. I actually started with 4 simple stacking wood boxes (2 on the bottom and 2 on top of those) that I purchased cheaply at Target. Each box holds 25 CDs or it can hold a double as well. Now I can't buy the boxes anymore but perhaps just copying the design is the best way to go...............

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Not a floor mount, not free, but NYW has plan I bought, then modified to include 3 additional drawers for DVDs. (6 CD & 3 DVD = 9 total)

NYW basic design is for about 200 200 CDs.

Construction is about to start.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Go to amazon and do a search under books and type in Bookcases. The first book that pops up is a book called bookcases by Niall Barrett. The front cover has a bookcase that when used for CD/DVD the spline will face up at you and be easier to read. I have the book if you have any questions.

Reply to
henry

I know this isn't what you asked for, but if you have that many CDs, you might consider getting those Binders that have pages that hold 4 CDs/DVDs per page. It's been a godsend at our house. Every kid has their own book, and it organizes the PC games too. Then you just need room for a few books.

I'm only bringing it up as an alternative, because other posters have given excellent ideas on your orginal design.

Reply to
bf

Thanks. After getting many very good ideas I have decided to forgo a wood solution at all. I am going to rip all my CDs to my PC which I can easily connect to my stereo and the CDs will go to the attic.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Thank you. Dave

Reply to