Recommended drill press speeds

I just purchased a Jet 17MF drill press. It has belts that let you run it from 200 rpm to 3200+ rpm. I'd like to find some kind of a resource that tells me the best speeds for wood by drill size and/or material thickness. I did a google search but the recommended websites were so old that they don't exist anymore or have changed their format (e.g., Wood Magazine's website). Does anyone have a current resource you can point me at?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Look Here:

(cut and paste address)

Chap

Reply to
Chaprock

Surprised you didn't get a "hang on wall" chart with your DP...both Delta's I've bought supplied them on heavy-duty paper stock that I pin to the wall.

> (cut and paste address)

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

I'll go you one better: my ancient Craftsman DP has a speed chart riveted to the side of the head. Makes it pretty tough to misplace. :-)

Doug Miller

Yeah. My Delta floor press has one in the flip top right next to the belts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

My Crapsman DP has the chart right inside the lid so you can look at it while setting the belts.

Reply to
Silvan

My Ridgid's the same way. I went to the link posted a couple of days ago and downloaded the chart (2 pages 8.5" X 11"), turned them back to back, and laminated them. Now I'm good to go. I thank whoever posted that link.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN