Looking for a lever cap for an older jack plane...

Yesterday I found a 13 ½ inch long, 2 3/8 inches wide jack plane in an antique shop. The inside of the sole is painted red; the outside is unpainted. The sole is of forged steel. The frog is painted blue. Wooden handle and knob. On the inside of the sole, just behind the frog, there is a small "U" with a circle around it. No other info relating to brand or age anywhere on it. It looks worn but not terribly worn.

It has a blade that is branded "True Value"; this may be a replacement. If the entire plane was made for True Value, it would be an inexpensive contractor's or carpenter's grade plane that would have been available at just about any hardware store.

I am looking for a lever cap for this plane... I've spent hours looking all over online. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

The StalkerDog

Reggie

Reply to
Reggie

AArDvarK

Go to Woodcraft and get a cap for a #5. Alternatively, go to flea markets or antique stores and buy either a box of parts or a junker and use the cap. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

Thanks for the replies, Alex and Dave!

I found the cap at Woodcraft.

Thanks for the links as well, Dave. I'm a newbie here and I really appreciate the help.

Thanx again!

The StalkerDog? Reggie

Reply to
Reggie

And for future needs,

sells plane parts, but you have to inquire via email or 'phone. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK