Lion miter trimmer help

Following discussions on this newsgroup, I bought a Lion Miter Trimmer. The instructions were quite poor. It is not at all clear how to swing the thing against the wood rests over the pinstop. Also, I have my miter saw set up on a table so that I can cut pieces of wood to exactly the same length. It would seem that if I do a final trim on the miter trimmer, it would be difficult to trim exactly the same amount off to preserve the lengths. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
James Cassatt

The best instruction I know of is "keep your fingers AWAY from the blades". Everything else is gravy.

Don't know about the instructions that come with the miter trimmer...perhaps later this week, when I swing by Woodcraft, I will take a look at them. However, your post is a little unclear as to what is swinging where. The angle supports simply loosen and are moved in an arc until they are at the appropriate angle. If 45 degrees, there is probably a spring-loaded stop built into the base of the trimmer. Otherwise...measure twice and cut once. The frame should be held firmly and so it is sitting FLAT on the trimmer base (this is VERY important or the miters will never fit). If necessary, you might have to cut a "V" block to hold round top frames properly, but in most cases Did I mention to keep your fingers away from the blades?

The answer here is, of course, to change the stops on the miter saw so you cut the stock 1/8" or so long. Now...what works for me are these steps: 1) As above, cut the frame parts 1/8" long with a saw. 2) Trim one end of a frame piece to that perfect 45 degree, glassy smooth angle on the miter trimmer. 3) Shave bits off the OTHER end of the frame piece until it is at the "perfect" length. Oh Yea...keep your fingers holding the frame piece away from the blades or you might only find out you have taken the tips of one or more off when the frame changes color. 4) do the same operation to the OPPOSITE frame piece, shaving it down until it matches the first one. 5) repeat for the other two sides of the frame.

Got to remember that the miter trimmer is a PRECISION shaving tool. It cannot take off thick chunks of material without causing the frame piece to travel a bit, ruining the miter. Because you are cutting a 45 degree angle, the piece IS going to want to be pulled along with the blade, so light cuts and a firm hand holding the frame piece in place are what is called for. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt