Miter trimmers

Interested in in one of the miter trimmers. Lion or perhaps......Import. But with the number of them that show up for sale as "used once" or "being sitting in the garage since the last millennium" I gots to wonder if they are really worth the investment. ??? Any comments to share ?? TIA

Reply to
JPEracing

JPEracing asks:

I think perhaps one of Tom Watson's comments last week indicates something of the reason: the blades on his Lion make him nervous. Now, imagine someone with marginal skills instead of Tom's expert skills. They buy a trimmer, use it once, see how easily a finger--or a bunch of fingers--can disappear in a cloud of red spray with this essentially silent machine...and it's yard sale time!

And a lot of people buy them expecting the trimmer to do more than trim, so they get rid of them.

If you have a need for accurate--nearly perfect--miters, there is no better way to creep up on those cuts than with a Lion.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

Where do you see them? I've been looking for a used (cheap) one for a couple of years and haven't found it yet.

Reply to
PM6564

I get perfect miters as measured with a quality square with a simple jig on my disc sander, a 45 fence slapped on a scrap of MDF that has a runner in it for the miter slot (it's a powermatic belt/disc ca. '67). Also hear, but have not tried, a dedicated TS sled does the trick. For those of us attempting to put a complete shop, expecially tool addicts, in a tiny space, learning to do excellent work on tools at hand becomes a priority...

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

Been thinking seriously about getting on the the Lion miter trimmers. Or maybe one of the imports....... With all the trimmers that end up on eBay "used once" or "been setting unused for so long I`ve decided to sell it" in the description. I have to wonder if it really is a worth while tool. Can anyone share there thoughts or make a few comments ?? Thanks

Reply to
JPEracing

place some lowball bids. then iff you don't like it (or if it just sits around unused) you won't be out a hunnert plus bux.... Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Bridger responds:

Well, maybe, maybe not. The only miter trimmer I found on Ebay this evening is a Lion, with 3+ days to go, up to $102.50, plus $19.05 shipping. A good price, but it will almost certainly rise a bit, maybe a lot.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

If you _need_ one, there is nothing like it. Even though I rarely use my (vintage of course ;-) Lion trimmer, when I do use it I'm ohh so thankful I have it.

-- John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.

MPD Blue

I got a Lion trimmer at a garage sale just because it was only ten bucks and had a spare unused blade with it. Planned on ebaying it, but found it too useful. I have been trimming out my house, and I like that it is quiet, and cuts MDF with no mess. I rough cut to size with a jigsaw and finish it up with the trimmer. Can't say I've ever felt in danger of trimming my fingers, but maybe I should.

Regards

-Frank

Reply to
FrankPeckham

so getting my low angle smoother for shooting board usage was a waste?

aaargh! :)

dave

Charlie Self wrote:

snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Been there...done that...works perfect.

(really gotta hold that workpiece tight to the fence...it'll creep along while you're not watching!)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Thinking of getting one. See lots for sale on eBay. Makes me wonder if they really dont work that well. Any comments TIA

Reply to
JPEracing

JPEracing posts:

Wasn't this posted 2-3 days ago?

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yup and yup. I need to glue a bit of sandpaper or something to mine. If I don't let it creep, it comes out dead absolutely frickin' perfect, which is nothing short of a miracle considering the saw I have to work with.

First time I band clamped a frame I had made with this jig, I was seriously impressed with my bad little self. Finally, after something like seven or eight years, miters that need no fudging. I had heretofore always had to trim anything from 1/8" to 1/32" off of one or more of the points to sort of man handle it into fitting.

Mine, incidentally, isn't a dedicated sled. It's a bolt-on accessory for my general-purpose crosscut sled. I put in some dowel holes to index it to a consistent location every time, and some carriage bolts with knurled nuts to lock it down. It has been holding up well.

Reply to
Silvan

No, that's the other best way.

Reply to