Gas Trimmers

Has anybody ever successfully used ELECTRIAL WIRE or some other material that doesn't break all the time instead of the usual string for gas trimmers ? (It's a Homer Simpson brainstorm)

Reply to
austinmarv

Whatcha doin' Tryin' ta break da string manufacturers?

Reply to
GFRfan

I have tried just about everything with the same thought in mind. The best thing I found was the plastic "single shot" heavy gauge trimming line, like Homelite's "Duraline". It is .105 (2.7mm) thick and takes a lot of use before giving up. I just cut them to an proper length that my trimmer accepts and then use a lighter to melt one of the ends to create a knot and slide it through the hole/holes where the string normally come out of the spool. I just leave the string spool itself out of the head and when they do wear down ya just have to slip another one through the hole. Works for me.....

Reply to
Gemini

:Has anybody ever successfully used ELECTRIAL WIRE or some other :material that doesn't break all the time instead of the usual string :for gas trimmers ? (It's a Homer Simpson brainstorm)

Electrical wire?

Think about it for second, which would you rather have hitting your legs (and innocent bystanders) at high speed? Little pieces of blunt light-weight plastic or needle-sharp chunks of hard metal?

Check the grommet where the line feeds out of the spool for wear (burrs or grooving) and replace the grommet if you can or the whole spool if necessary. Any sharp edge there will chop the line up no matter what kind of line you're loading into the spool.

Reply to
someone