Other Kinds of Trimmers?

Been reading the great thread on string trimmers, and am wondering if there are other kinds.

Reply to
cybercat

yes.

Reply to
S. Barker

Scissors, teenager, $5 bill. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Scissors, teenager, $5 bill =3D teenager laughing in your face.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

=Teenager doing without....

Reply to
S. Barker

=3DTeenager doing without....

Keep dreaming.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My Stihl hasnt been needed in years, I roundup around everything then burn it black a few weeks later. What did everyone do before String trimmers came out maybe 25 years ago, use a herbicide and burn, it saves money and alot of weekly time.

Reply to
ransley

Edgers, yes there are units with metal blades specifically for edging but nothing that I know of that really replaces the string trimmer for trimming around beds and trees. The alternative used to be hand trimmers or a good hoe.

Reply to
BobR

My Stihl hasnt been needed in years, I roundup around everything then burn it black a few weeks later. What did everyone do before String trimmers came out maybe 25 years ago, use a herbicide and burn, it saves money and alot of weekly time.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not a roundup fan.

Reply to
cybercat

:)

What kinds?

Reply to
cybercat

I'm wondering how he burns things that are right up against the foundation of his house.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Certainly. I recall using a "golf club" style trimmer years ago, basically just a double sided V notched blade at the bottom you just swung back and forth. Very simple, inexpensive and not particularly strenuous to use either.

Reply to
Pete C.

Well, we're way past it, but OUR teenagers (years ago) didn't refuse to do chores unless they wanted to sit at home on the weekend.

=Teenager doing without....

Keep dreaming.

Reply to
S. Barker

gas and diesel mix in a garden sprayer and a match.

S. Barker

S. Barker

Do you know a good hoe? I sure could use one!

Mine got busted last week, it looks like she's getting 30 days.

Reply to
Bulldog

Sound like it works pretty well so why did you stop using it?

Reply to
Frank

I got a Shindaiwa T270 that will do truly scary things like going through a 2" dia tree in a fraction of a second with a brush blade on it. It's also faster when trimming long areas and can trim up directly against a foundation which the golf club type can't quite do.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are wheeled string trimmers. The DR Trimmer is probably the best of that lot.

Great when you have lots of trimming, very heavy trimming, slopes, around ponds, etc. With their chainsaw style blade accessory it will cut through 3-4" dia saplings.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Would it actually be possible to "mow" with such a device if the yard is small?

Reply to
me