Leaning furniture??

Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.

Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):

today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??

Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some research for further design ideas:

... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further suggestions on examples.

Reply to
Swingman

Interesting, but knowing me with my bad legs I'd have to fasten to the wall so when I bumped into it I wouldn't have to pick it up off the floor. Good use for those magnetic fasteners.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

There's been times when I've temporarily "stored" stuff on my ladder.

A glorified or altered ladder? Might only be useful for small items. =20

How about alternating shelves, somehow, like alternating stair steps, as a = design option?

?q=3Dalternating+stair+steps&view=3Ddetail=&id=3D8FF669A98FB057BE1928F0A55A94D85440D26698&first=3D83Wall mounted cat ladder approach? Don't know if this is applicable, but th= is may lead to other ideas from someone else:

Sonny

----------------------------------------------- Good thing you are not in earthquake country,

BTW, do they expect a discount since only 2 legs are supplied?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Also, rather than straight (ladder) rails, have curved or undulating rails, including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

>>> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >>

Anything of this sort would obviously be attached to the wall by anyone but a total fool in this litigious society, not to mention that from doing further research, these pieces are _always_ accompanied by the minimum of an anti-tip device.

Reply to
Swingman

including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

The below is what I believe to be the genesis of the idea for these folks talking about the concept, and it makes sense since the Container Store is right up there with Ikea for the younger set:

Swingman

including curves (right side vs left side) in opposition to one another.

Reply to
G. Ross

>>> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >>

I'd worry about stability, especially with a couple of cats in the house. Anchor it to the wall some way and it might prove to be functional to some degree.

Matt (I like modern-looking stuff sometimes, but call me "old-fashioned".)

Reply to
Matt

Each leg removed will be a corresponding increase in design fees. :)

Reply to
Swingman

> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >

I have seen variations of that sort of thing with some high end "small" office furniture. Often made with metal and glass. Crate and barrel had a selection of desks, etc a few years ago. There is a whole category of high end furniture designed for apartments and condos. I have seen this kind of thing in that market for at least twenty years. I have not seen any lately though. That is either because I don't look at that sort of thing any more or they just stopped making it.

As for the stability thing, the leaning desks I saw had sharp feet and were anchored on the bottom by digging into the carpet. This approach, obviously would not work on a hard surface floor.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

hear the ambulance sirens in the mere picture of it.

a fireman's quick elevator pole for the down trip, y'know.

may lead to other ideas from someone else:

I like the red one.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >>

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless, too. My vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

way to fasten it to the wall. I`d probably also be looking for a way to easily unfasten it too and move it on occasion.

Sounds like a real pain to me. Glad in this case anyway, that I`m not building any of this furniture to a customer`s order.

Reply to
Dave

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:49:52 -0700, Mike M

Even with rare earth magnets, they would they would have to be pretty powerful to stop a piece of furniture from falling.

Reply to
Dave

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:03:19 -0700, Larry Jaques

Yeah. That red one look like a pampered cat ladder and perch. If I had the space available, that is something I would build for my cat.

Reply to
Dave

On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper

But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would be to attach something else in their place.

Reply to
Dave

>> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >

In the drawing with the feet, if you add the feet to the top but extending out you could add a wide, from the wall, shelf to hold lighting that shines down on the desk top. That would also help hide a wall anchor/attachment.

Reply to
Leon

Key hole slots on the back side of eaach leg at the top and a single screw in the wall on each side to fit in those slots.

Reply to
Leon