Lap joint on end of 2x4?

Gotcha. Waterproof wood glue and circ saw blades.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Cool! Thanks!

Liquid Nails for Subflooring Circ Saw blades Chisel

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Typically what would be done on site by an experienced framing crew would be a circular saw to make multiple, close together shoulder cuts at the proper depth, and a chisel to finish chopping the residue of these cuts out.

If you have a BS, you could use that too as well. I've done it on a TS, RAS and (as another mentioned) with a skill saw.

If you are removing 3/4" x 3.5" x 3.5" of wood, the router approach would be better to clean up the lap after one of the aother approaches was used to HOG OUT the majority of the lap.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

(...)

OK now I'm feeling more confident.

Yup. Two fence gates. Each about 44" wide by 60" tall.

since the 2x4s will lay flat against the covering fence boards just like the gates these will replace.

Yup. My gaps will actually be much wider because I'm overlapping alternating fence boards to imitate the look of a fence. Functional without beauty.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Grok that. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. That is the current plan. I'm leaving a temporary 1" island on the end of the board to support the router.

I think it will work just fine.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

RE: Subject

A circular saw and a chisel followed by a flat bastard file gets the joint made.

Assemble with some laminating epoxy thickened with micro-balloons and clamp lightly to hold while epoxy "kicks".

Enjoy a cold beer while observing your craftsmanship and watching epoxy kick.

Prepare for next project.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OK. Thanks Lew.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:06:01 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Or not. I'd love to see a cutoff from the middle of a PT 4x4 from Mr. Clarke. I've never seen PT injected more than about 1/2", and that was with a vacuum/pressure treating chamber and steel knife incised on 2 sides.

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:30:31 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Galvanized bolts work better unless you let the wood dry really well first, and that means it'll warp before you get it up. :(

What's this for, again?

What's environmentally friendly about mold/mildewcide and termiticide, I wonder?

That's the way things should work.

Damn, those are CHEAP! I pay $20+ for those here, $25 for the normal

3-1/2-inchers, GripRITEs from Taiwan. Pozi heads, like yours. Galv and other high-tech coatings are higher, too.

Yeah, that's why I use an impact driver exclusively, and square or pozi heads almost exclusively.

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Just now I cut off one of my HD pressure treated 2 x 4s, about 6" from one end and made a color scan of the cross section. I can send a jpg if you would like, anyone (well almost anyone). Beware, it is 2.8 MB.

Be sitting down before you look at the picture because you will laugh your ass off.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Two fence gates. Each are about 44" wide by 60" tall, overall. The frame will be somewhat shorter.

Dunno. Stuff works apparently. That's good enough for me.

I liiike.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:03:17 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

"Goes on wet, comes up sticky!"

What he said, but I still prefer galvanized glue for the PT crap.

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd appreciate a look. My e-mail address is valid (and I can always use a good laugh).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:44:26 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Doug fir isn't used in PT. PT is the cheapest, weakest wood they can find, the second grade SPF. (spruce/pine/fir, other than Douglas) Doug fir is an extremely strong pineywood, drying hard enough to bend green sinkers in a single pound.

Ayup.

Eek!

Coated metal is a good choice, butcha can use wood or plastic decking over it.

Of course. The Wreck is just like Wreck.Metalheads, only different.

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Most of the treated lumber I've seen and recognized is brown, but I do have a piece that's yellow with a greenish hue to it. I have not cut the yellow piece, so I don't know if it changes colors (tints) partway through.

It's entirely possible that there's 4-5 different treatment methods "in the wild" now and some are the partial treatment using a brown chemical while others actually penetrate the entire piece.

After all, why do more than necessary? If someone's buying a 4x4 post to sit on the ground for landscaping and the thinner treatment stops most everything from getting in, why worry about the core?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:48:48 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

I've seen ten year old plain doug fir decking which has survived better than pressure treated lumber here in rainy Oregano. It's good schtuff, Maynard.

Tell him to kiss your ass, and shop at a _real_ lumberyard next time, Pooh.

Nahm's brad nailah won't help in this instance.

Yeah, those are the epoxy coated screws I complained about. I haven't seen any failures in PT wood yet, including the old CCA treated stuff, but I will be moving entirely into galv once again as soon as my 25 lbs of Primeguard is gone. If you drive one in and have to remove it for any reason, discard it and put a new one in, though. You'll see bare steel there, the reason you discard it.

There ya go.

G'luck!

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:42:01 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

Every single piece of PT I've cut into both in California and Oregon over the past 30 years, from at least ten different sources, has had "crappy treatment", according to your theory, JC. Except for the end inch, every cutoff I've made has had untreated wood inside, period. And that goes for Womanized, CCA, AZQ, and others.

Pics, please! Location and sourcing, too, eh?

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:16:31 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

GREEN? Hell, son, it's all brown now. ;)

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:06:22 -0500, the infamous Mike Paulsen scrawled the following:

Where'd you find PT one-bys, Mike?