Major Score

My dad passed away in 1998. He loved power tools. Today I was going through the attic and found an almost new Craftsman 315.276040 3 HP Electronic Plunge Router. It was purchased new in 1992 for $215.00 Now I'm going to have to go through everything to see what's there.

Now I need to learn how to use it. Question: Is it possible to use a plunge router in a router table? I really like the 3HP size of the motor.

Reply to
mcp6453

In principle yes, altho you might have to modify the base to attach to the table. Note, tho, that 3 Sears HP = 1 Porter Cable HP. No foolin.... Sears used locked-rotor current (stalled motor current) to calc their hp -- a total scam.

Reply to
Existential Angst

The only problem with plunge routers is that it can be tricky to control the depth with a fine degree of control.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The plunge mechanism is controlled by a couple of springs trapped in the plunge mechanism. It is not too big a deal to remove the springs if you want to mount the router in a table. The trick then becomes how to "dial in" a specific bit height. You may be better off saving your pennies for one of those Triton (made in Australia?) routers that come with the "above the table" bit height crank knob. There are also good plans online for bit height adjusters that are basically a chunk of all-thread and a plywood disc.

Make sure to invest in some hearing protection... routers really scream.

The best router table I have ever had was a replacement wing for my table saw... I can use the table saw fence for the router, and I save a whole bunch of space in my shop. The wing was kind of pricey, but then again so is buying/building a good standalone router table.

Get yourself a good book on routers, or visit the library and check out a couple. Keep a good grip while using it, they are deceptively dangerous.

Best of luck!

Reply to
xparatrooper

Cites, please.

Reply to
salty

I understand that different manufacturers can rate things differently, but this router weighs twice as much as my 1 HP router. It's almost too heavy to handle.

It has a knob sticking up for plunge dept adjustment. It has a very fine thread on it. Since I have not used it, I don't how accurate it will be, but it should do fine for my hacking.

I probably would not have purchased a 3HP (or whatever) router for my presently minimal needs, but it will be great to have a second router that uses 1/2" bits, plus I won't have to change bits as often when I'm using both routers.

Reply to
mcp6453

In Craftsman routers of that vintage, beware the ARHA feature. It might be the reason the router was almost new. It doesn't take very long to get tired of the feature.

jc

(arha=automatic, random height adjustment)

Reply to
Joe

OK, my bad:

3 Sears hp = 1.1 Porter Cable hp.

Sears motor rating policy is common knowledge. You can verify this for yourself with an ampprobe -- lock the spindle with a vise grip, or wood in circular saw blade, or whatever, and measure the current. Multiply by 120, then divide by 746. Wahlah -- their hp rating.

Now, take same circ saw, wail on a 4x4 until you "feel" that it is counterproductive to push harder, measure the current, calc as above. That would be the "real" hp rating, proly 1/3 the above locked rotor current, mebbe even 1/10.

Do the same for a Porter Cable.

iirc, the FTC or some equivalent org made Sears suposedly stop this practice, a few years ago.

Sears is no cute li'l retail bunny. After they were caught in NYS in their auto repair ripoff scam, they were sued in mebbe a dozen other states, coast to coast. google sears auto repair lawsuit. Unfortly, google dudn't reveal much on their motor rating scam, but who would expect less of Sears?

Reply to
Existential Angst

[...]

Good idea. I did something similar with a RAS, just drilled holes under the table for the base of a non-plunge router. No rip fence, but c-clamping a guide on the table was no biggie. Used it mebbe once. :)

I screwed a sabre saw to the underside of a table saw leaf, for a diy jig saw. Controlled the speed with a variac. THAT was handy!

A diy drop-leaf of 3/4 ply on a workbench would do well, also, and serve other purposes when another cupla square feet of bench are needed. Well, mebbe not 3/4 ply for a sabre saw -- 1/8" alum sheet or steel would be better for under-mounting a sabre saw, altho the 3/4 wood seemed OK for the router.

Reply to
Existential Angst

In other words, you pulled this accusation directly out of your ass.

Reply to
salty

The reason it was almost new is that my father was elderly, and he never used it very much, if at all. There's little to no sawdust on it.

Reply to
mcp6453

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Ever see the Tim Allen plunge router episode?

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just some doc I found. Maybe good bickering material :-)

Red Green

Should send Sears a copy.

Reply to
Existential Angst

No offense intended. The arha feature is something of a running reference in another newsgroup about that particular routers tendency to have bits slip in the collet and therefore automatically (and randomly) change the depth of cut. Here's hoping yours doesn't do that. To answer your question, yes, it can be mounted in a router table. I had mine in one for years in addition to using it handheld. You definitely want it in a router table if you plan on spinning any larger diameter bits.

Have fun!

Reply to
Joe

IIRC the Craftsman routers are not thought of well by woodworkers as the collets tend to loosen when they should stay tight and as a result gain the nick name carbide ejectors or something like that.

You might want to ask about them on rec.woodworking those guys seem to know their tools.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Oh I probably did, that was a long time ago though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

How many REAL 3hp electric motors have you seen that run on

120Volts???
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The only thing I question is the statement that the 3 hp Sears is the same as the 1 hp Porter Cable. Yes, they do use the locked rotor method, but they all do. Many companies offer a 3 hp router. Does anyhone think you'd have a real 3 hp motor in your hands like that? Look here for hte ratings of some

When you get into table saws, the better brands use real numbers. Most are

1.5 to 32 hp, but Sers is something like 4.5 on their little saws.

Notice the high end 3 hp saws

Notice that Sears no longer gives HP ratings. This u sed to be 4.5 hp. Now it is 13A.

Ed Pawlowski

What applies to the Sears router also applies to the Porter Cable.

Reply to
salty