Major garden decision today

I got back from nearly a month away to find a weed infested garden, and some plants that wifey and MIL had bought, but not planted correctly.

So, good guy that I am, decide to plant said articles.

I have been messing with this garden plot for two years now. Not really working it, just messing with it.

Today, I found out that it is from six to twelve inches of sand on top of a caliche table. After bending a couple of shovels trying to plant some strawberries, we have decided to make everything on raised beds, which should be infinitely easier than growing at ground level. I have a bad back, and can't get down there. So, now, we shall start building raised beds in earnest, and get some really good local mulch, and start growing. May even put a shade over it, and a good wind break.

Glad I didn't waste another year on it.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Gardens need tending. I have a friend that couldn't tend her garden and a month later the weeds were 3' tall and the plants near death. It was hard to see.

Many of use here are now thinking lasagna gardening, it should suit your bad back. Use the Google. Also, lots of plants grow well in sandy soil, consider adapting to your local conditions.

Maybe you have! That's the trouble with wasting time, it's not really apparent to the OP until after the fact. If your friends are strangely quiet it may be a clue that you are on the way. We all waste time, the important thing is whether you enjoyed yourself while wasting it.

No SPAM please.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I really don't consider it a waste of time, as I did progress to a new level, and can now move on with things. I learned something. I had a garden once like you mentioned. I got sent offshore for a couple of months. I came back, and I had to hack my way to get the gate open. There were zucchini the size of watermelons, lots of tomatos and cukes, cantaloupes, and three bushes of the most beautiful jalapenos I ever grew. I got three brown paper grocery bags full. I made a mix of sliced jalapenos, carrots, celery, cauliflower, purple onion, and pickle brine, and that was late summer. I put them up in quart jars, and gave them away at Christmas. Everyone wanted more.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to