Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily rubber coming off in our hands.

We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the fins in your hands.

Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily black rubber on everything it touches?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Same thing happened to a toiled flush valve-flapper (age unknown - likely 10+ years). The toiled bowl started to develop black streaks and initially I couldn't figure out why. Then I checked out the flush valve and got my hands incredibly stained with what seemed like india ink.

Reply to
Some Guy

Best guess from here is that the rubber compound has deteriorated past usefulness. Many years ago there were a lot of rubber goods made with what was called 'oil extended rubber'. It was not intended for long service, so my thought is that old age has caused the modifier to separate from the bulk of the rubber. Everybody would be happier with a brand new fins, don't you think?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The rubber has rotted and broken down. No saving them. Just toss 'em.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Rueful chuckle. I had a pair of boots (wellingtons for dry land, not diving boots) that did that once. Only wore them 2-3 times, and then stuck them in the closet. A year or so later, pulled them out, and the soles and heels had turned to soft mush. Ended up shitcanning them, since they were not the kind that could be resoled at a realistic price.

Live and learn- guess that was why they were on sale so cheap in the first place. In this case, I say trash the vintage ones and buy new. The new designs and plastics they use work a whole lot better anyway, from what I understand. I remember the fins I had as a kid leaving welts on my feet.

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

No. It was heartbreaking for me to throw away my ScubaPro Jetfins that I bought new when I got certified in 1969. That's what they do when they get old. Go get a new pair, and do a little research, as if the lad wants to use them for any other purpose than the pool, you will then need to go buy the proper pair. Now, there are hundreds to choose from. You can buy them in sizes, or buy the adjustables. I like the soft ones that are sized. Only buy those that float so you don't lose one at the lake. The old pair would look good nailed to the fence, or somewhere they won't blacken anything. They still have some class after all these years to us old fart divers.

HTH

Steve, NAUI certified 1969, Divemaster 1974, commercial hard hat 1974

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

At speeds of about one mile per hour, yes.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires or with 40 yr old radiator hoses and belts, rubber decomposes- oxidises. Time for the trash.

Reply to
ransley

The one thing you could "try" is a silicone spray. When I dived we treated rubber stuff (and neoprene) with silicone. I tried SCUBA in the late fifties...haven't done it in 30 years. I still have some U.S.Divers gear. Started with Healthways and moved up later to USD and Dacor. (some lingo, "J" valve, 2-stage regulator, recompression chamber,caisson disease)

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

Get the kids a set of new fins, and sell the old ones on ebay

**VINTAGE*** ----L@@@K!!---

jON

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The only safety issue is if someone who cares sees the smears. The fins are breaking down and are way past due for being replaced. You will find that new fins are *much* lighter and easier on the legs.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

The feet pockets on those old ones were hard and unforgiving, even with booties on. Even if you had them adjusted just right, you had to put them tight enough not to come off, and that meant having sore toenails for a time. IIRC, they did not float, so if one came off .........

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I had the Cressi-Rondine with open toe! Good for their time...don't know about now.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I will not throw them away (they were my Dads' fins) but besides, there's nothing physically wrong with them (we replaced the straps which were missing).

The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do not float) but their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". The only thing happening to them is they rub off a black oily inky smear on everything they touch.

At this rate, since they're more than an inch thick in spots, it would take a thousand years for them to wear thinly enough to become a safety hazard.

I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and "seal" the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not vulcanized rubber?

I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Thanks. I'll google for "silicone spray" and see what I can come up with!

Yeah. My dad said it's still the same stuff nowadays as it was in yesteryear.

He said "a fin is a fin is a fin". He always used the K.I.S.S. principle, especially with dive gear. No fancy mask valves. No moving snorkel parts.

He even gave me his faded-yellow canvas "horse collar", which, of course, we would use a fancy "vest" nowadays - but the horse collar served him fine!

As for terminology, his big heavy black US Divers fins are branded "rocketfins" he said derisively since he paid extra for them when he was taking the dive class, only to find out later while diving that a fin is a fin is a fin.

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Take old fins to garbage can. Drop in. Buy new fins.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Certain rubbers have that problem when they get old. There is nothing you can do to fix them.

Reply to
Tony

Dunno. You are adamant bout using those particular fins?

Couple of thoughts (temporary solutions):

Automotive store , look for products for cleaning car tires. Same for (not my words) conditioners, Armour All, etc.....

Maybe a local car detailing shop or dive shop can offer you advice.

When I wash the rubber trim on my truck windows, the wash rag gets really dirty from the rubber.

This too will pass :-/

Reply to
Oren

Hmmm, I mentioned this to my kids(daughter and son, both life savers andd certified divers, w/rescue rating). They said, "don't be sentimental, be practical" If wanted, you can keep them but don't have to use them to smear your pool deck. Every thing in life has time to go including ourselves. We are in the process of reducing all our traces to less burden my kids. I am throwing out lots of old junks, pictures, what not before it is too late.

Reply to
Tony Hwang