Lamp Prototype

Folks -

Well, the lamp prototype is coming together - boy, this thing has a million parts and a zillion edges.... it's a beauty, tho'.... I would like to post a picture of it over in ABPW, but don't know if it's ethical to do so.... can someone here help me out and tell me??? The design of the lamp is copywritten by the owner, and I am working from his copywritten drawings and photos. I would never produce the lamp in violation of the rightsholder, but would like to post a pic, and am not sure if even that would be okay...

Anway, the prototype is made of Doug Fir and Claro Walnut, with a guilded roof. If all goes well, I hope to produce them in lots of 10 to 50 at a time. I already have dreams of jigs, dancing jigs, in my head!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

You have purchased a license to make them?

Reply to
toller

Reply to
Phisherman

Some of the 'fair use' exemptions in copyright law include: "comment", "criticism", and 'news reporting'. It would seem likely that your picture(s) of the development/assembly of your item would fall under one or more of those categories.

Caution: if you are intending to build such objects -- from somebody else's copyrighted plans -- for purposes *other* than your own 'personal use', then express permission from the copyright holder _is_ required. "..produce them in lots of 10 to 50 at a time" *DOES* look very much like other than for 'personal use'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If he got the plans out of a bookor a magazine he almost certainly has at least a license to make one for personal use.

rcook5

Sure, but not to produce them commercially.

Reply to
toller

Oops. Missed that. Yeah, that's a completely different situation.

--RC

rcook5

"toller"

The plans are his copyright. The lamp is yours. You can post any pix you wish of your lamp but no scans of his plans.

Reply to
David Hakala

snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think John is working with the designer/copyright owner, if I'm not mistaken...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Sat, Feb 5, 2005, 8:48pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.dot.net (Patriarch) says: I think John is working with the designer/copyright owner, if I'm not mistaken...

Maybe, but I didn't get that impression. I'd like to hear the whole story from him.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T