Laminate/hardwood edge technique?

Hi all, I'm an intermediate skilled woodworker (ok maybe a hyped up novice! ;-) but i'm curious about the technique of laminating a surface and then edging it in a hardwood and having it remain flush. I work with buscuits alot and that part is not difficult, but what about the sanding and finishing and having that edge "perfectly" flat with the laminate along with not damaging the laminate. Just curiuos how you all do it. thanks

Reply to
Mcgyver

Use a router with a patern bit to bring the wood banding flush with the laminate surface

John

Reply to
John Crea

Try FWW (Fine Woodworking mag) #156, June 2002 - cover article is "Six ways to edge plywood". Searching for "edge banding" will help too.

  1. Thin veneer tape with hot-melt glue.
  2. Thin solid wood strip, glued on.
  3. Vee'd wood strip.

4 & 5. Tongue and grooved wood strip.

  1. Thick wood strip, with spline.

  1. is the well-known "DIY chipboard furniture" tape. But done carefully, it can give good (if not hard-wearing) results and an invisible edge.

  2. is more robust, and barely visible.

  1. is the best of the "invisible" techniques. It needs a pair of matched router cutters, as are used to make butterfly keys. The banded-on strip is substantial and strong, but has invisibly thin edges.

4 & 5 are similar, but one puts the tongue onto the strip and one onto the plywood. Grooving the edge band requires a wider strip, but it can be an attractive contrast. 6. is similar to this, but uses an added spline between two grooves (often easier and stronger). It also has the advantage of using the same groove machining setup on both sides, not requiring a tongue to be cut.

Andy Dingley

Here's an example of the edge-banding router bit sets. I have seen these in action, but have never used them myself. They make for and excellents edge.....I prefer it over the tape.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

I hand file 'em with a good sharp flat file. It's coming flush when you see the glue line start to pull. Takes a little practice but works well. Then mask the laminate and hand sand the hardwood with 320 apply finish to hardwood sparingly as to not build a ridge at the mask line and pull the masking off when the finish is not fully hardened. may need to folow with some 600 on any high spots but with practice thats not too often.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson