finishing in the cold

A newbie question about staining and varnishing and the temperature.

I am ready to finish a project. My basement shop holds steady at 50F. I plan to use a dye-stain and then polyurethane on read oak.

The can doesn't have much to say about temperature. I assume that drying times will be increased. Any thing else I should watch out for?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Helfer

Anthony Diodati

Heck thats not nearly as cold as the fellow doing 25 degree dovetails.....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Loose a lot of doves that way if'n your not careful.

Reply to
Jim Helfer

Read the label directions. 50F is getting "iffy" I think (only know because I'm trying to finish something where ambient temp is 20F on good days and the kero heater is running overtime trying to keep up. Give it a couple of months and it will be too hot for stain or varnish LOL). I think most things want 55F minimum.

You should be able to stain at that temp but give extra time. Ever try water based-poly? When the stain is dry you can actually do the poly with that stuff in the comfort of your living room...not much odor and it dries quick allowing multiple coats in a matter of hours. Just a thought.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Couldn't find any temperature guidelines (rather than the storage range) on the label, hence my post. But I lucked out a bit, and rising temperatures here have risen my basemetn temperature to 55F.

But, I screwed up anyway, and used too much poly on the brush (or something) and got a lot of air bubbles

Haven't tried it yet,(my choice was partially based on the full can of oil-based that I have on the shelf). Next itme maybe. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Jim Helfer

temperatures

Reply to