Polyurethane / stain mix

I have an oak coffee table and end tables that I need to "fix". There are water rings on the top that have lifted the finish off the wood and exposed the bare wood. The finish on the rest of the table(s) is fine.

I am thinking about sanding the tops, staining and then finishing with polyurethane. There are NOT pieces of fine furniture so I wanted to use a polyurethane/stain mix, however, I couldn't find one in the correct shade. I DID find the correct STAIN.

Question: Can I mix the stain with the polyurethane to create a combination finish? If so, what would be the proper mixing ratio?

Thanks.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

maybe, but probably not. ask the manufacturers. most have n 800 number on the can

Reply to
bridger

But why bother/take the chance/hope for a desired tint? You could have applied the stain to get the desired color by now and then put the top coat over it tomorrow...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

oh, the search for abstract knowledge is it's own reward... :)

you're right about the color not coming out the same though. it's also likely that the solvents/driers in the different materials would not play entirely nicely together.

Reply to
bridger