Karate? LOL

I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD" LOL

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

If we are talking about a 1" thick by 1' square board, it's one of those that is easily breakable. Support it on the edges and give it a lusty whack along the grain with your fist (head, foot...) and it will break. Sorta like crushing an aluminum beer can in your manly hand. :-) gronk, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

My teacher (Wing Chung) said that it taked about 6 lb. of pressure to break this type of board, about what it takes to break a rib. I tried a

12x12x1 inch piece of ash. It takes a whole lot more pressure to break robo hippy
Reply to
reedgray
2005 04:37 pm:

About as much as it takes to break the bones on the edge of your hand? ;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill C.

"Breaking boards" are cut with the long dimension cross-grain and are made of pine.

Pine will hurt you if you wimp out . . . most of the battle in breaking boards is not stopping. LONG ago in Engineering Physics, we watched a high speed film of successful and unsuccessful "breaking" attempts.

In an unsuccessful attempt, the board vibrates back into the hand striking it.

But so long as you strike THROUGH, you'll succeed.

Block is similar. Watch Side Kicks (if you must) or any big Martial Arts demo. They break 8" block across the weak dimension.

When they break 12" solid cast footing, I'll be impressed.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Having a daughter who's been involved in TaeKwonDo for several years, I've held many a board in tournements and testings. I can assure you they dont all break easy. When your holding 8 boards (12*12*1) while a 200 lb 18 year old takes 6 attempts to break them your wrists end up in bad shape. The kick that finally breaks them feels so easy compared to the others - got to hit right in the middle and drive through.

And if they miss and crush your fingures.............

Ian

Reply to
Ian Wheeler

REAL men crush them in their butt cheeks.

Vic Baron

I was taught that ribs break at 75 lbs. Given what it takes to bust them doing CPR, I'd say that's about right. If it only took

6 lbs, every kid in a fight would have a flail chest. The grain direction is what makes the karate boards easier to break than the usual lumber.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I thought that was walnuts?

Reply to
musials

I'll be it's wide grained and has no knots. Typical of what they used when there was a demonstration day in the club I attended. I have to admit, I miss the people I met there. Friendliest and most sociable people you'd ever want to meet.

Reply to
Upscale

REAL men have a can crusher so they can work faster and get them back to the beer store to cash them in and buy more beer.

Reply to
Upscale

The grain

Exactly -- plus speed kills.

Reply to
WillR

and it's really hard on the side of your hand.. DAMHIK

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That's why I've usually preferred a palm heel. Just don't have time to build up calluses on the side of the hand.

Reply to
Upscale