Lignum vitae mallet

Over the past ten or so years, my 40-year old lignum vitae mallet has seemed to dry out and is becoming increasingly brittle,

Is there a way of re-introducing some sort of wax or oil to the head of this puppy? I think the warranty has expired and am not sure it will last another 40 years.

Reply to
Bubba

Doesn't look like lignum vitae to me. Maybe that is the problem?

-j

No. It's totally impossible.

Pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That's not lignum vitae.

It's a drum mallet. They're a consumable item - just turn yourself a new one. If you want a mallet to last, put the head on at right angles, so that you're hammering on the end grain.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Suck it up and turn another one. I have made a couple of these from Maple and Walnut. It is hard to take that first strike knowing the result. But they are, at the end of the day, a tool and they end up looking kinda beat up.

40 years isn't bad.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

PEG 1000.

In a vat for a few months in summer heat and you'll be better'n new, because you'll also have a softened surface to eat up the vibration before it gets to your elbow. I make all mine that way, and appreciate it after carving two or three days in a row.

Reply to
George

That's exactly what I thought first thing, if it's LV, throw it in water for quite a while. That don't look like LV though.

Reply to
AAvK

er --- will YOU last another 40 years? If not, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Vic Baron