JORGENSEN Clamps

First of all, where does this 5 minutes come from? My order, dated

00:29:24 is shipping. Second, Woodcraft clearly misjudged the demand, but to attribute such ulterior motives as many have is pretty unfounded. They say that they sold a 5 years' worth of normal volume in less than one hour, so it's hardly like they planned to "stock only 5 minutes' worth".

That is poor performance, and customers who missed the sale have a right to be pissed about that.

You're wrong. Mine will be here Tuesday. I'm not saying that to rub your nose in it, but rather to say that your claim that it was a scam is unfounded.

I'm sorry you didn't get the deal you wanted. Suck it up and move on.

Reply to
alexy

Agreed - my order was posted at 00:24 and the clamps just arrived 5 minutes ago via Fed-X. I don't think they counted on the massive demand that was created, and even if they had a hint by watching what happened with the Amazon sale a few weeks ago, it was probably too late to order more from Adjustable.

Reply to
TT

But probably not too late to negotiate more at the sale price so that they could back order for customers.

If I were Woodcraft management and could run this sale again with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight (which many on this thread think they should have had), I would probably have sold by lottery, on all orders placed within a 24-hour period. Clear up front that acceptance or rejection of an order would be random, and would not be known until Saturday, with orders withdrawable any time before then.

Reply to
alexy

It was fine the way it was. Anyone going into the sale should have had some inkling that I had better get in fast because it is a limited sale and a crap-shoot. I am not guaranteed to get anything. It is limited to stock on hand and no backorders. It's not unlike any other type of moonlight madness sale that goes on in retail. Until I see a shipping notice of a carrier pick up I never assume anything is mine whether it is a regular order or a special promotion.

Reply to
BobGramza

Actually, I don't think Woodcraft had any say in the sale price. The company, who's name slips past me at the moment, is offering this sale throughout the Fall to celebrate their 100th Anniversary in business. That's what the folks at their booth told me at the AWFS Woodworking show in August. I would guess that the limited supply was based on how many discounts Jorgensen was willing to pay for, since that is the source of the discount.

I guess the bottom line it that Woodcraft's online ordering system was not really up to handling this sort of deal. Unfortunately, a lot of people got burned and are blaming Woodcraft. Considering the sluggish behavior of the website, I was rather expecting a backlash. C'est la vie.

I'm glad they did not offer this only through the stores. We have a local Woodcraft. I dropped by yesterday, and the painter said he was not sure exactly when they were going to open for business. I got my clamp shipping confirmation when I logged on this morning.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

It is likely that Adjustable is giving these clamps to the retailers. All the proceeds from the sale are probably going to Woodcraft, and I suspect they did not spend a dime for the merchandise. I cannot imagine that Woodcraft's margin is more than the approx. 57.5% discount (base on 36" model) given on these clamps. Given that, what leverage do you think Woodcraft had to demand more (free merchandise)?

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

Yeah. Even have one of those messages that you want to take back as soon as you hit "send"? This was one for me. While I doubt that the clamps were free for Woodcraft, I'm sure they were WAY below normal wholesale, and negotiating greater quantities at that cost would be difficult if not impossible.

Reply to
alexy

I think everyone realized going in that it was a crap shoot. But when you place your order at five seconds after midnight, enter in all your shipping information, and get a confirmation of the order display on the screen, you should have a pretty good expectation that you actually got the darn order.

If their site was set up correctly, the initial order request should have flagged the inventory database to hold the items. If the order fails for some reason like a bad credit card, you reset the flags. That way everyone that got an order requested would have it fulfilled, and those too late would know right off the bat they missed out. I'm just a lowly application coder, so I don't know much about web applications. My coworker in the cube next to me is however, and it is apparently quite easy to set things up that way, and is actually the way to go.

Reply to
kenR

I read someplace that they were going to open the Monday after the Costa Mesa Woodworking show, which would be Nov 10th.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

: It is likely that Adjustable is giving these clamps to the retailers.

I doubt it. The Woodworker's Source had exactly the same sale in August, and I know (from talking to the manager of the Tucson location) that they bought their clamps from Jorgenson. Yes, it was a special deal, but they weren't free.

Woodworker's Source has three stores in AZ, and I believe they ordered from Jorgensen something like half the total number of clamps that Woodcraft did in the recent sale. They were taking orders well in advance, and everyone was happy with the way the sale went, staff and customers included. A nicely managed sale.

- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss