Jointer Upgrade - IV - or is it a high speed scraper?

Folks -

Well, I got the 1 1/2 hp old heavy GE motor installed in the new jointer stand for the craftsman 6"

I put a new cord in the motor - Stan or my old man had used small terminal bolts (?) to secure the leads, that'n electrical tape. The ground was unconnected, it was only a two wire hookup

Getting the dual pole switch wired was a bit of a trick - deep standard box, but hard to work.

Anyway, I did a test run and doggone it, the jointer head runs backwards! There was a faint arrow indicating direction, and I *thought* that it was properly wired. So, I'll have to switch two wires.

The motor diagram shows which two wires to switch to change the rotation. Would reversing the black and white leads do the same thing? Solly if that's a dumbass question... Oh, and in switching wires (now that I've run the motor) am I in any danger of getting ZAPPED by either of those freshly charged, vitamin bottle sized capacitors I can see lurking under the motor?

Or.... I could leave it as is and mebbie have the world's first high speed rotary scraper. How does the Binford Transpower Rotary Finisher sound?

I only ran the jointer for about 30 seconds, tops, but was impressed with just how much quieter it ran from the original 1/2 horse...

I think I may put a tennis ball or something springy underneath the motor carriage to take up some of the weight.

Look forward to your remarks about motor direction and safety issues...

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

No. The wires you switch will reverse one coil relative to the others; switching the power leads keeps everything the same polarity-wise.

Only if you touch it within a few milliseconds of unplugging it. But, if you're worried, just test it with a voltmeter or put a light bulb across it for a few seconds to drain it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

From this comment it does sound like the motor is reversable. There are quite a few that are not reversable but there is usually a note on the motor case or the wire compartment cover plate.

Reply to
RonB

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Switching the input leads(the black & white) will have no effect on an AC motor direction.(Unless you're thinking of 3 phase stuff, in which case switch any two phases to reverse direction)

Capacitors shouldn't bother you, as someone else said, mostly because they are used for "phase shift" in starting & running the motor, and as such are using AC, not like one of those nasty big caps being charged up with DC and sitting there waiting to attack you.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow