Jig saws - can they handle it?

my bosch will do it- but expect to go through a few blades..

Reply to
Bridger

I have a Bosch (a quality jigsaw), and this is precisely why I want to get a bandsaw soon. The jig saw will do it, but the blade deflection is significant when cutting any tighter than a very gentle radius in thick stock. That is, the cut is not square to the surface of the board. 3/4" thickness is not too much of a problem, but 1.5" requires alot of cleanup on the spindle sander.

That's why.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

It depends mostly on the correct blade for the job & knowing how fast to proceed, let the blade do the work with only applied palm pressure or you will need a few......blades that is....after wards you can have a few. If the jigsaw has the orbital feature use it to start nibbling into the next stroke, good luck.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

My Festool barrel grip jig saw cuts through laminated Mahogany 1.75" thick like butter. Have yet to try it on any harder woods at that thickness, though...

FWIW.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

You really need new friends. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

what about using a Sawzall for rough cutting?

dave

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

a) And you helped this guy out -- why? :) b) The *ads* for the Festool jigsaw imply that this is a great use of their tool.

Reply to
mttt

Why didn't I think of that - thanks! That would've been fine, as this was just a rough cut to be cleaned up with a router and template.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Indeed. I'm glad it wasn't me that hired him.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I would go to the bandsaw first, I would have to have been pretty desperate to cut very much 2" thick hardwood with a jig saw. The small blade on a jig saw can't match a bandsaw blade for heat disapation. My guess is that he had some tuning issues with his saw and didn't recognize or care to correct, otherwise he should have handled that cut quite easily.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

You are welcome, Jay! (If I throw out enough suggestions, sooner or later, someone, somewhere, will find one of my ideas useful! :) )

dave

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I saw a This Old House episode where Norm had to do something like this. He had the bandsaw on wheels and moved the saw while the wood was solidly mounted between two supports. He made it look effortless.

Dickm

Reply to
dicko

I helped a guy wrestle around an 8 foot piece of 8/4 cherry on a bandsaw this afternoon while he tried to "leave the line" on a couple of simpe radii. He rejected my offer to bring over a roller stand, and then complained that I wasn't holding it level as I tripped over the menagerie of crap in the middle of the floor while trying to accomodate his ministrations.

The entire time I was screaming to myself - WHY NOT DO THIS WITH A JIG SAW!!!! The cherry was actually on 7/4 or so, and when I saw the router disaster that ensued when he tried to clean up the mess with some gunky flush cutting bit he tried to "sharpen" by lapping the outside edge of the carbide with a disgusting oil stone, I just walked away and resumed vibrating the previously belt-sanded panels that were waiting.

Frustration abounds, as do the libations....

JP

******************** Do I really have a clue?

PS - If I buy a good barrel grip jig saw (Bosch, Milwaukee?), can I rough cut 8/4 cherry, maple and ash? I don't mean laboring over it for 10 minutes - I mean cutting it in a clean and professional manner. Tjank ju.

Reply to
Jay Pique

Jesus - not a typo in there....may as well crack another Boddingtons I guess.

JP

************************************** Y'aint drunk if ya can still tipe.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Wow. There's another one I wouldn't have thought of. The concrete floor we have is plenty smooth enough, but I'm not sure I'd want to be heaving a Laguna LT 20 around even if it did have casters - it's a pretty big machine!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique