inlays

Hi Folks,

I'm assembling the equipment required to do some inlays. After gluing the inlays in place, what would be the best method of leveling the surface - sanding or planing? Would hand rubbing with linseed oil be an acceptable finish or would you go for poly (light/med use tabletop)?

Any advise really appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Teller

Wow, the consequence of a chipout is so drastic that I wouln't get a plane near it, but that's just me.

Reply to
Bruce

The finish is up to you ... a good sharp card scraper, used carefully, should flush your inlays.

Reply to
Swingman

I have always sanded, but next time I will try a well tuned scraper.

Reply to
Montyhp

Personally, I'd sand it, but then I don't own any good planes. I'd also go for a poly finish on the top, oil on the rest.

Steve Kreitler

Steve Kreitler