Jet wood lathe

A top of the line Jet wood lathe is it a good lathe for a beginner? I`m just starting to work on a lathe! Rich

Reply to
runshe1

rec.crafts.woodturning is the place to ask. FWIW I recall kind comments to that effect there regarding the jet $800ish model

Google it.

Reply to
Stephen M

You might also want to ask this one on rec.crafts.woodturning, where you'll find a group more focussed on your specific interest.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you are referring to the 1442, I have owned one for about a year and it is a great machine. I recommend buying the cast iron legs because they add about 150 pounds to the mass, which dampens vibration. The only bug I had was a tendency for the speed control to stick, especially when it is cold. This seems to going away and a local Jet rep said this was fixed on newer lathes.

Regarding the $800 price Stephen noted, if you can get it for that, move out and buy. I paid $799 for my a year ago September. Same store recently had it for $915. Price increase supposedly because of the raise in steel prices and state of the dollar.

Reply to
RonB

I recommend building a cabinet base, where you don't waste valuable shop floor storing air.

If you've got the bug and the bucks, have at it, but a Mini with tools and chuck will give you a lot of experience for a good five - six hundred less.

Regarding the $800 price Stephen noted, if you can get it for that, move out and buy. I paid $799 for my a year ago September. Same store recently had it for $915. Price increase supposedly because of the raise in steel prices and state of the dollar.

Reply to
George

I'm highly satisfied with my Jet 1442 (with legs). It is tight, well finished and accurate.

So far no problems in 6 months.

WaltC

Reply to
WaltC