How to remove a busted screw?

Can anyone offer help on how to get a busted hinge screw out? Not brass, but not steel - have tried drilling it, but that looks like the recipe for ruin...hep me please!

Thanks Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

There are screw extractors you could use, a hollow tube with sawteeth. Place in drill, over top of screw and drill to depth of screw. Remove plug with screw and glue in a dowel.Any hardware store should carry them. Another option is to leave the screw in if it is below the mortice. Then drill for another screw to go thru it.Use wax and predrill holes next time. mike

Reply to
kwoodhands

From a hobby shop get a piece of brass tubing with an inside diameter large enough to fit over the screw. Cut a piece about 3-4" long. With a small file, cut some 'teeth' in the end of the tubing. Chuck this in a drill and drill down over the screw. This will leave you with a plug which has the screw inside it. Bust that plug out, and the screw with it. Now replace the plug with a piece of dowel and some glue. When it's dry, drill a pilot hole and replace your screw.

Reply to
LP

I had the same problem, I used a Dremel for cutting strait opening on the screwhead and used a flat screwdriver to drive it out.

zed-

Reply to
zoltannyc

Sears sells some nifty screw extractors. They work well.

Some more information might also be helpful. What kind of hinge, what kind of screw? what size of screw?

If this is a door hinge, you might be able to drill the head off the offending screw, remove the hinge and grab the stub of the screw with a small pair of vise grips.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

To snag it with the vise grips (or a needle nose plier) you might have to drill a small hole on two sides of the offending screw. You can then get the pliers on it and rock it back and forth to help get it out. Then drill a larger hole, put in a piece of dowel, sand, goop with

*spackle*, and bake at 350dF for 1 hour. mahalo, jo4hn
Reply to
jo4hn

not brass or steel... what then? aluminium?

Reply to
bridger

Thanks all for your help - Whoever suggested the sharpened piece of copper tubing chucked in the drill - worked like a charm! I started the hole with a 3/8 fostner, chucked a piece of 3/8 sharpened copper tubing and drilled into white oak like butter. Used a 3/8 plug cutter and the glue is setting up now! Thanks VERY MUCH! ...I was really stressing about it!

Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder