Is this a US-only group?

It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where English is spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous, showed me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list ...)

Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

Reply to
Henry Law

I think it includes all of Europe and Australia as well. The majority of posters are North Americans, but speaking for myself, all who make sawdust and shavings (or want to) are certainly welcome. One of our favorite sources of quality tools is Lee Valley and they are a Canadian company. It seems that Hitachi used to be Italian ( I may be wrong about that though).

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Henry Law wrote: | It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of | people from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost | as many from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from | countries where English is spoken well (Canadians of course, | Ireland, the Dutch, all the Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India | and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But a quick scan through this group | just now, though hardly rigorous, showed me only US posters and | lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list ...) | | Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's | fine with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.

As of 04:04 this morning, these are the recorded May hits by domain/country at my web site. I think most of the search engine hits fall into either the "Network" or "US Commercial" catagories. Nearly all of my site activity is the result of posting articles here and to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

There have been 106401 total hits so far in May - from 67 countries. Here are the "Top 30":

1 41364 38.88% Network 2 27573 25.91% US Commercial 3 14367 13.50% Unresolved/Unknown 4 3051 2.87% Canada 5 2865 2.69% India 6 1920 1.80% Australia 7 1551 1.46% Italy 8 1233 1.16% Hungary 9 1110 1.04% US Educational 10 1107 1.04% United Kingdom 11 1047 0.98% New Zealand (Aotearoa) 12 969 0.91% US Military 13 780 0.73% Greece 14 705 0.66% Non-Profit Organization 15 459 0.43% France 16 414 0.39% Thailand 17 402 0.38% Belgium 18 399 0.37% Brazil 19 399 0.37% Mexico 20 396 0.37% Poland 21 324 0.30% Netherlands 22 318 0.30% United States 23 300 0.28% Sweden 24 282 0.27% Czech Republic 25 279 0.26% Switzerland 26 267 0.25% Finland 27 264 0.25% Germany 28 252 0.24% US Government 29 219 0.21% Turkey 30 192 0.18% Japan

Methinks there are a _lot_ more lurkers than posters. I wish more of the lurkers would join in our discussions...

Morris Dovey

No.

I've gotten replies from folks all over, including a gent in Iceland.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Henry:

AFAIK; this newsgroup is dominated by posters from North America, although, I suspect many more read this NG

There are several forums, which are moderated, that have many more EU members. I recommend:

seems that in the UK, there are lots more problems with finding wood suppliers than most North American's have any concept of. I, as someone who lives in North America, finds the price you pay in the UK for raw wood products / lumber is just unbelievably too high. Doesn't your lumber have to have some sort of certification that the source of the lumber is from a re- newable forest or some such?

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

Not 100%

Barry, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

At least one from Nelson, New Zealand

Larry

Reply to
Larry Spitz

There you go Henry, that makes 3 Kiwis so far. And I am positive I have seen a number of messages originating in Oz, and spotted several Pommy posters. A sprinkling of Continental entries also. There are bound to be more lurkers out there ....

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Dam, I thought this was a Japanese group all along.....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

Although many of the posters and topics on "the wreck" are from the US of A and Canada, posters from all over the world are more than welcome.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

Reply to
John B

Lots are but there a couple of blokes from Oz, me being one. I've learnt some interesting things in this group over the years and hopefully been able to help a few people on the way. It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state :)

Just have fun

regards John

Reply to
John B

I'm so glad you approve, you limey-f*ck.

*group hug* Canada here standing on guard for thee and willing to share all I know about sub-zero glueing techniques.

You eel-pie munching, warm beer slurping peeps are truly my favourite crowd. Truly.

How can I be of service?

Reply to
Robatoy

| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co | such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is | mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when | your the 51st state :)

John...

I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?

This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to people in other regions...

Morris Dovey

On May 21, 1:27 am, John B wrote: Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state :)

Bite your tongue. I have been to Oz and just bought a very expensive sander from Oz. I wish I could live in Oz, but I don't have the 1/2 million I need to prove that I don't 'need' to live in Oz. You live on the finest island on this earth. You have everything you need to live wonderful lives, except good beer, nice looking women and you drive on the wrong frickin' side of the road. Those traffic circles really messed with my head, dude.

DAMN, I had a good time there......

(you know I'm kidding ya about the wimmin there, right, mate?)

Reply to
Robatoy

Wow!

Morris Dovey

It has been my experience that we all lust for things on the other side of the fence.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You mean that topless 20-year-old cutting the grass on the other side of the street?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL.. One year, I took the train to Dover (from London) to take the ferry from there to Belgium. Turns out, we missed one and 'had' to stay in Dover for the night. We closed the pub called Golden Arrow and were adopted by a few locals who got the biggest kick out my asking the question: Where is Vera Lynn's statue? We're in touch today, and I have tried on several occasions to make it past Jolly Ol'..on my way to my home-country, but I seem to get stuck in the UK every time I try to get through it. So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas fridges, right?

Reply to
Robatoy