Is pine generally kiln dried?

My two might take exception to that remark. :)

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

No, I'm definitely thinking of what they pass for untreated 2 x 4 white wood down here (used to be pine, this is fir, doesn't smell like any evergreen I ever remember). I'll grant my comment was somewhat facetious, but the wood we get down here from the borg is still quite damp to the touch. If one does not use it immediately to constrain it or constrain it in storage, it will twist as it dries.

As I said, my kiln comment was somewhat facetious, but the drying that is done is just barely construction quality

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sounds like SPF (spruce, pine, fur) borg stuff... The last time I bought some, which was between Christmas and New Years I had to break the wood apart in the store as it was frozen together! I don't know how long the unit was inside the store but about a quarter of the 2x4s were missing off the top of the stack when I got there. I was very glad I brought my leather work gloves in as it was a terrible job getting them apart. Reminds me of the "old days" of the 70s when I bought wood that was stored outside in the winter... the big dimension stuff wasn't even under cover!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Don't know about borg ............. but even down here in LA which is southern pine country they use Brazilian pine to pressure treat. It is cheaper than the trees just outside the gate. The stuff comes in full of mold spores and now that CCA (copper-chrome-arsenic) is banned they have hell keeping it from turning black in storage. Business has really picked up for the company that I work for - one of our products is moldacide.

Reply to
woodbutcher

Hmmm... moldacide goes pretty good with my typo above too... fur vs. fir. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Don't you have that backwards?

Reply to
Silvan

Not unless the stuff in my firewood pile has seen the inside of a kiln. :-)

Doug Miller

Kiln-dried black

difference is due

(I

Bass akwards. The 'purple' (looks more like grey to me) cast is caused by kiln drying and will not appear in air-dried wood. I'm pretty sure that steaming to blend the color in from the heartwood to the sapwood greatly increases the effect. IMHO, it looks like crap.

I've seen plenty of air-dried black walnut--dried it ourselves. The first time I saw steamed black walnut I didn't even recognize it. My second question was "What happened to it?"

I've read here on the rec that the discoloration from steaming fades over time so that in the long run it will look OK.

Reply to
fredfighter

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote: ...

No, the purple color is caused by soil types where the individual tree grew...I'm not sure that anyone has identified specific minerals, pH, or other conditions required, but it is an inherent trait of black walnut, not induced by kiln drying. It is certainly observable in some air-dried specimins.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If your information is correct, and the chinchilla lives, then the wood was kiln dried.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

But...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thinking about this I'd worry more about the impact of the finish than the wood on the chinchilla's delicate little tummy.

--RC

rcook5

walnut,

Hmm, now I'm going to have to take some walnut ans steam it in my oven to see what happens.

Reply to
fredfighter

In general, the steaming promotes the migration of color to sapwood although it also promotes blending and makes a more general brownish hue. I was told by the fella' running the kiln in VA where I used to buy that the commercial users (that area is, or at least was, full of furniture manufacturers) demanded it and that for their purposes, the high temperature and extensive steaming essentially washed all the red and purple hues out. He would normally dry in a smaller kiln for the private market and not steam...I know from first-hand experience that that would still contain some of the purple tints although I suspect if they were compared to a side-by-side slab of the same tree, the air-dried would still be more pronounced in color--never saw that experiment.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Some tabasco or habanero sauce will stop the chewing and then no concern. Unless, of course, the hot stuff is harmful to them making it a good idea to first ask a vet.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose