kiln-dried timber doors

I've now got some pine bifold doors from B&Q. Says kiln-dried, must be sealed as soon as removed from protective packaging (which had holes in !). That puts the frights on you. What can I do to seal it sufficiently until I fit it and properly paint it ? How should I store it for now ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

They can be stored unwrapped or wrapped in the same environment they are going to be installed in that is if they are going in a dry heated house keep them somewhere dry, not out in a shed or under a tarp in the garden or in the conservatory in full sun. Putting some finish on them or keeping them wrapped is wise because it will slow the rate at which the wood takes in moisture or dries out.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Yep, I've wrapped them back up for the time being. I had to unwrap to fold in half (bifold doors) to fit in the car along with me ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

With the emphasis on "slow". IME nothing stops wood eventually adjusting its dimensions to suit the ambient conditions. In the case of doors, because you have no access to mortice and tenon joints, there's a limit to how effective a seal can be.

Reply to
stuart noble