Is any rust acceptable?

Thanks Barry - see, that's what I mean by lack of experience. I never even thought to try something like that!

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

IIRC, you use naval jelly followed by a thorough sanding. Then it's bondo time followed by more sanding and a trip to the paint shop ... and viola! you have a 1972 Vega that looks like your teenage brother helped with the body work. (Blechh!!!)

Oops! Did I drift off-topic?

At any rate, any rust/discoloration left after a scrubbing with #0000 steel wool and mineral spirits isn't worth bothering about (unless you started with a barge full of rust).

Bottom line: if you feel naval jelly is necessary, perhaps it's time to reconsider the machine's status as tool or anchor. :)

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder