Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

And the kid cares about this because?

Reply to
J. Clarke

One place I used to work there was a piece of machinery with a foot pedal. Was installed before WWII. In the time from its installation to the day that OSHA first looked at it, there had been _no_ injuries on that machine of any kind. OSHA decided that the pedal was a tripping hazard and required that it have an elaborate guard installed. At the time I left the company there had been five injuries caused by that guard.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Lord have mercy, you are so right. We used to have another wood teacher at my school until he cut off two fingers (now he runs the tardy center). OSHA fined the district (if I recall correctly the amount)$3200, claiming that it insufficiently trained the (state credentialed wood shop) teacher. Then they sent out some baboon to inspect the shop while I was teaching. He complained that my drill press did not have a safety guard on it, thus a student would be able to injure himself by touching the drill bit. He also complained that the lathe tools, all in the tool rack, were accessible to the students, thus could be used as weapons in a fight. I explained that the students actually use the lathes, and thus the tools are necessary. He answered that it was still dangerous and I should keep them locked up in my office and give a student one tool at a time, swapping them out as necessary. I could continue with this idiot's suggestions, but it would be just more and more lunacy. I told him he was a horse's ass and asked him to leave my shop. The district office risk management supervisor was with him (whom I have known for years) also suggested to the OSHA guy that he should move along because he had two more shops to inspect. My supervisor later returned alone and told me that he agreed with me, but I should try to be a bit more tactful since the district is appealing the fine. I answered that I would be tactful to anyone who isn't an idiot.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

For Brian it seems to be. He just can't fully comprehend that "shit" happens and that it's impossible for it to happen to him. THAT'S arrogance at it's worst.

Reply to
Upscale

Nope, they don't have to be. As a matter of fact, they shouldn't be.

Reply to
Brian Henderson